The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

4g63 swap in 91 Mighty Max?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin706

Probationary Member
Sep 27, 2012
Columbus, Georgia
whatsup? Name's Devin. Live in columbus,GA and just picked up a 91 mitsu Mighty Max a few weeks ago. has the 4g64 SOHC 2.4 non-turbo motor :( . A/C delete, macro cab 2wd 5 speed. 3" drop in rear to level it out some. stock 15" steelies on yokohoma's. 5% tint. integra seats and console. ready to look into a 4g63 dohc turbo motor swap for it.:hellyeah:. not trying to break no world record i just want to be able to whoop up on the local hondas and whatnot every now and then... namean?:sneaky::tease: haha.

truck has 196xxx miles. egr blockoff. getting a new oil pump and all new belts right now. still super duper slow though:rolleyes:. anything i should know? i havent seen but a few of these trucks with this motor swap on youtube, just joined here and a few other forums trying to get my brain full of DSM goodness sein as i'm comin from 383 SBC k5 and camaros and such. traded my 91 4runner with the 3.slow v6 sr5 straight up for this lil guy. any tips? ive been reading a LOT too haha.
love this site already! tons of good informational ish:thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
you woud be better off built the 2.4l and swaping a dohc head. fwd 4gs dont play nice with rwd platforms

Why not get a DOHC head from a 2.0 and do a custom build? Finding the correct 2.0 block will be quite hard. All the engines from DSMs were narrow block, your truck is probably wideblock.

If you use a narrowblock you will have to get a billhousing as I don't think any of the rwd transmissions available bolt to the narrowblock.

Why not get a DOHC head from a 2.0 and do a custom build? Finding the correct 2.0 block will be quite hard. All the engines from DSMs were narrow block, your truck is probably wideblock.

If you use a narrowblock you will have to get a billhousing as I don't think any of the rwd transmissions available bolt to the narrowblock.

i was thinking the same thing because the 63 heads will bolt up to it being a 4gxx series motor but i also read that the 64 block wont want to handle the extra power of boost and whatnot. it'd be more of a get all or 99% of the parts i need and do it in a week or 2 being my daily driver. but idk thats why i joined, to get some answers about everything and learn as much as i can before i go buyin uneeded parts and tearing stuff up..i tend to do that too much:coy:

Read and search on this forum and this forum ONLY! LOL reading and learning will be your best bet

AMEN! haha thats exactly why i joined. to learn a lot more and ask question or find answers to my questions:D

and from what i've read on a mighty max forum i have a 7 bolt block and it's a wideblock also.

Hey just trying to bump this forum up alittle cause im really interested in the mighty max swap also!

You may find some good information at Projectzerog.com. Check out the tech areas and build threads.

I say grab some forged pistons and rods for the 64 and swap a 63 head onto it. Stroker torque with the red will be fun LOL. I know weisco and je make a piston specifically for a 4g64 with 63 head, might want to look into that.

4G63 Longblock with a plate adapter for a t350,t400 trans and driveshaft cut to the proper length. Amazing setup and would be a blast to drive. Look into Brent Rau's setup a little RWD but in a 2G eclipse.

I say grab some forged pistons and rods for the 64 and swap a 63 head onto it. Stroker torque with the red will be fun LOL. I know weisco and je make a piston specifically for a 4g64 with 63 head, might want to look into that.

A 2.4 is not a stroker.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back