The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GVR-4 4G63 SOHC want more power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relindwto6

Probationary Member
Jul 17, 2020
usa, New_York
Hello guys!

I have a 4G63 powered 8th gen Galant, with 136hp, totally original. I love that car, love revving this engine over 6000rpm, but I would like to have more power(at least 40-60hp more). What can I do?

Sohc to dohc conversion, can give me more power? Can I put an aftermarket turbo, and everything else on it? Will the ecu and the other elements (pistons,etc) can handle the more power? The engine will be as reliable as the original 4G63? Or is it easier to put in a 4G63T? If yes it's a plug N play stuff?(except the wiring) Thanks for your answers.
speed test

Last edited:
If that's a US spec car it's not a 4g63. It's a 4g64. It's layout is on the passenger side and does not share the layout of the dsm platform. Thre have been people that have turboed them etc.
There is similar engineering between all sirius model motors 4g63, 4g64 etc but modification is model specific. You may want to check out some galant forums such as this.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/forum.php

If it's the 4G64, you can Evo swap it fairly straightforwardly. IIRC you only need to add a few wires inside to use the Evo ECU as well, so read read read.

I'd save up my money and time, and read like crazy, and toss in a basic Evo longblock, Evo ECU, and enjoy it until the transmission explodes and then debate something else. :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back