The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4G63 sohc more power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgelene97

Probationary Member
Feb 11, 2021
Unit 2D Yonkers, New_York
Hello guys!

I have a 4G63 powered 8th gen Galant, with 136hp, totally original. I love that car, love revving this engine over 6000rpm, but I would like to have more power(at least 40-60hp more). What can I do?

Sohc to dohc conversion, can give me more power? Can I put an aftermarket turbo, and everything else on it? Will the ecu and the other elements (pistons,etc) can handle the more power? The engine will be as reliable as the original 4G63? Or is it easier to put in a 4G63T? If yes it's a plug N play stuff?(except the wiring) Thanks for your answers. https://9apps.ooo/

Last edited:
Hello guys!

I have a 4G63 powered 8th gen Galant, with 136hp, totally original. I love that car, love revving this engine over 6000rpm, but I would like to have more power(at least 40-60hp more). What can I do?

Sohc to dohc conversion, can give me more power? Can I put an aftermarket turbo, and everything else on it? Will the ecu and the other elements (pistons,etc) can handle the more power? The engine will be as reliable as the original 4G63? Or is it easier to put in a 4G63T? If yes it's a plug N play stuff?(except the wiring) Thanks for your answers.
If this is a US spec car that is not a 4g63 motor. It's It's 2.4 4g64. It also does not share the same layout as a dsm 4g63.

Im not sure if the 8g galant has the engine on the passenger side like a 3g eclipse or if its on the drivers side like a 2g spyder.

if it happens to be like the 2g spyder
you can find some 4g64 sohc to dohc head swap info HERE

Im not sure if the 8g galant has the engine on the passenger side like a 3g eclipse or if its on the drivers side like a 2g spyder.

if it happens to be like the 2g spyder
you can find some 4g64 sohc to dohc head swap info HERE

I own an 8th gen Mitsubishi Galant years '99-'03
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
The engine is situated like an evo 4-9 T belt on passenger side, mine is a USDM 2.4 sohc engine same as 3rd gen eclipse
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If this is a US spec car that is not a 4g63 motor. It's It's 2.4 4g64. It also does not share the same layout as a dsm 4g63.
I have also commented on posts on this forum where an owner had one with 2.0 sohc 4g63 in an 8th gen.
I think Guam and Puerto Rico may have gotten the 4g63 sohc 2.0 engine as an option perhaps?, or it could be that the op read the code wrong, or possibly the engine was swapped with a jdm one many possibility's here, but it could perhaps use the same 4g63 block as the evo 4-9 and if that is the case the op might be able to just swap in evo internals and accessories or forged ones and get the dohc Hyundai/KIA head and then have the ecu re-flashed or run an evo ecu if possible.

I'd be lying if I said I was not pondering the notion of making a poor mans evo stroker motor, I have a spare sohc 4g64 from an 8th gen Galant, for cheap for working on a buddy's car, so I have plans to possibly build it with a Hyundai/Kia head and then maybe use the Hyundai/kia g4js pistons too, I heard they are dished but I am still doing the homework on what the final compression would be, I guess I'll have to hunt down some Hyundai pistons and see if I can find out what the dish volume is.

Last edited:
the euro market 8th gens had the SOHC 4G63
again im unsure on the way that engine is mounted. the 2g euro eclipse had a non turbo version of the 4g63.

there is some pretty good info on the g4js HERE

When you get going on our build, if you need it, i have an EVO8 HKS 264 intake cam that is taking up space. Its not going anywhere so if a year from now you decide you need it, just hit me up and we can work something out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back