The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

4g63 powered ’92 Vert 240sx (aka 4g240 Vert)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot2g

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2012
Cabot, Arkansas
Hello everyone, my name is Bobby and this is the beginning of a very long build. It started as an anniversary gift from my wife as a project car (by the way, I have a awesome wife)

I am building a ’92 240sx convertible, I started with the intentions of building a KA-T but after some debate I wanted to build another mild ~300hp 4g63. I do not expect this to be a quick build, I like to take my time and make things right the first time. It’s a project car, I have a family and a life beyond my garage. I enjoy the build so I don’t rush through the build and miss the details, building cars is good therapy for me.

Therefore, with that in mind, I have started on the tear down and engine/transmission removal, A/C delete, and removal of the engine harness. The current plan is to use an eprom ecu with link v3 and a custom engine harness for engine management from a donor car.

Some obvious hurdles to overcome are the transmission and driveshaft, intake manifold, wiring, and engine mounts. I will have to modify the cooling system given that the thermostat housing would be adjacent to the firewall. With some mild modifications to the head, I will be able to overcome these issues.

The present plan is to use a dodge D50 transmission and engine mounts; it is a direct bolt on to the narrow block 4g63. The intake manifold will be fabricated, or reworked to facilitate a forward facing position. The use of a EVO VIII or newer intake can be used with some minor rework as well.

As the build progresses I will post up the successes, fails, trial and errors associated with the build. I will also post photos of the build as it goes along. In the end I expect this to be a fun to drive car that’s capable to drive to the track or show.

Enjoy

Attachments

• 2012-10-17 13.12.30.jpg
    2012-10-17 13.12.30.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 2012-10-17 13.05.09.jpg
    2012-10-17 13.05.09.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 336
I was going to do this swap in my S13! My plans exceeded my budget though, I have a lot of the parts you need to do the swap if you're interested. I'll PM you a list.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357921845.059410.jpg

Progress has been slow, I get a few minuets on it here and there. Removing all the harnesses from the front of the car and preparing to start work on the bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 150771

Progress has been slow, I get a few minuets on it here and there. Removing all the harnesses from the front of the car and preparing to start work on the bay.

Planning to shave/clean up the bay? Is this going to be a function over form build? Looking good so far. :)

I prefer a the (KIS) Keep It Simple approach; it will be function over form.
I do plan to shave and clean up the bay but I am not removing anything that's needed. I plan to fill unused holes and simplify the wiring. I will keep essential components to make the car run correctly and to be street legal (horn, lights). The A/C will not be used and I'm also debating a manual rack steering.
My vision is a fun to drive weekend car that is at home on the street or track.

I prefer a simple Keep It Simple approach; it will be function over form.
I do plan to shave and clean up the bay but I am not removing anything that’s needed. I plan to fill unused holes and simplify the wiring. I will keep essential components to make the car run correctly and to be street legal (horn, lights). The A/C will not be used and I’m also debating a manual rack steering.
My vision is a fun to drive weekend car that is at home on the street or track.

Perfect! Exactly what i would do. :)

Ok. I'm in desperate need of the dust shield between the engine and tranny. Very interesting build. Good luck man.

OMG Now that is luck! Every time I find a turbo DSM, its already been raided of all the goodies.

+1 any worthwhile cars are usually ripped to pieces before I get a chance. Sounds like the project is moving forward nicely keep us updated. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back