The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G63 N/A 6bolt 150K on block, no smokey, rebuilt head. Will I blow up piston rings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TermTrky

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
PNW, Washington
Hey, I had an overheat after waterpump belt snapped on freeway. Knocked & stalled out, still runs very nice surprisingly. Leaks coolant into cylinders, smokes a little now. Didn't smoke at all before-hand. 150K on the block, after overheat the rod bearings were fried. I didn't drive it on the knock. I installed new bearings and they have been working flawlessly with nice oil pressure. I bought a remanufactured head because I figure mine is warped.

It's a 2.0 N/A, does anyone suppose this would blow a rod or piston rings in the next 20K miles? Not sure of the upkeep on those 150,000 miles but I figure they weren't too harsh since it runs very smooth and didn't smoke blue. I plan on new timing belt, auto tensioner, waterpump, and radiator as well.

Thanks, any input would be nice to save me from a mistake that I may go through with anyway. :beatentodeath:

I'm not sure I understand your question... Are you asking if we can predict the future or what we think will happen? Cause no one can tell you. If your worried about something blowing rebuild the motor while it's already down. That the only way to make sure. Hope that helps! :)

I am speaking probability.Compression test tells me 2 cylinders at 175 two cylinders 155. The two 175 cylinders tell me the piston rings are still seating nice and hopefully they are still proper on the other two cylinders as well. But I will install the new head and let you know I suppose :confused: Worst comes to worst, I'll get rid of this car & opt for a GSX / TSi.

I am speaking probability.Compression test tells me 2 cylinders at 175 two cylinders 155. The two 175 cylinders tell me the piston rings are still seating nice and hopefully they are still proper on the other two cylinders as well. But I will install the new head and let you know I suppose :confused: Worst comes to worst, I'll get rid of this car & opt for a GSX / TSi.

Well the damage has been done so most likely it will stay at that. But that is totally livable with, shouldn't hurt you too much as I'm assuming this is basically your daily? I'd say replace the headgasket, you really didn't need a new head but you can put the new one on and send the other to a machine shop to have checked for flatness and cracks.

Yes, is a daily romper. Factory numbers for compression should be at 195 so hopefully the new valves & seats bring up the compression past the 175 reading. My head has valve issues, and I got this new head [completely remanufactured, not 'brand new'] cheaper than it would cost me to machine my head :]. The new camshafts won't hurt either. Thanks for your input, hopefully the block is sound. My best guess is yes from my inspections but I'll have a look at those cylinder walls when the head is off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back