The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 4g63 mechanical timing off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttravis88t

Proven Member
Jul 25, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
Is my timing off here? This socket is exactly at the top of its rotation so this is the top of the piston stroke for the cylinder all the way on the right closest to the cam gears. But as you can see the lines don’t match up. The car ran fine before this I was just checking up on it before I begin tuning. Maybe I’m wrong and this isn’t cylinder #1?

If it was off this much it for sure wouldn’t have ran so idk😂

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I still say you should line this up with dowels up. It appears it is not dowels up. It may be an illusion bit it also looks like those lines aren't 180 opposite each other. If you line up crank with dowels up that would be definitive if the cams are correct or not.
Forgive me but what dowels are you referring to?

Having installed many sets of aftermarket cams I've never even remotely had to move cam gears 4 teeth to get anywhere near lined up. The dowels hes reffering to are the cam gear pins which you can see in your picture are kicked around 11 oclock instead of the 12 they should be. I'd like to see a video of this thing running and doing a pull if it's "good" what cams are supposedly in this in the first place?

Forgive me but what dowels are you referring to?
These are the dowels. When timed correctly, they should be directly facing up on top. And the timing marks are to line up accordingly. Although it runs fine off a few teeth, doesnt mean its correct. I suggest you retime it if you want it to run correctly as it should

These are the dowels. When timed correctly, they should be directly facing up on top. And the timing marks are to line up accordingly. Although it runs fine off a few teeth, doesnt mean its correct. I suggest you retime it if you want it to run correctly as it should

It appears to me the dowels are on the other side and that is just a hole in the gear.
OP keep in mind the cams turn at half speed of the crank so if I'm right all you have to do is turn the crank once and check again.

It appears to me the dowels are on the other side and that is just a hole in the gear.
OP keep in mind the cams turn at half speed of the crank so if I'm right all you have to do is turn the crank once and check again.
I think you're correct, the timing mark is on the tooth on the left cam gear which would normally be at the 9 o clock position instead of 3.

I see what you mean. This pic here shows the dowels clearly. Either way, with all the time this has taken with this back and forth....the timing could have been redone correctly by now. 👨‍🔧

Having installed many sets of aftermarket cams I've never even remotely had to move cam gears 4 teeth to get anywhere near lined up. The dowels hes reffering to are the cam gear pins which you can see in your picture are kicked around 11 oclock instead of the 12 they should be. I'd like to see a video of this thing running and doing a pull if it's "good" what cams are supposedly in this in the first place?
OP has said that the car runs without any issues a few times but I remember reading one where it clearly doesn’t.

This should help. Dowel pins / timing marks

As I mentioned earlier that his cam gear has 2 dowel pin holes for DSM and EVO 4+, and it seems he is using the correct hole by seeing the video but difficult to confirm it since he hasn't uploaded a good angle pic.
He HAS to confirm it first that if the gear hub is installed properly for DSM or not, and fix if necessary before re-doing the timing. In case if the hub is set for EVO 4+, he will never get the correct valve timing on DSM by using DSM timing marks unless degree the cams. If the hub is set for DSM properly now, then he simply has a wrong valve timing, he just needs to properly install the timing belt.

(In case if the op is not familiar and not sure what we are talking about) It can be confirmed by using a ruler to make a line between 12th tooth from the horizontal timing mark and center of cam gear bolt. If the dowel pin hole is on the line, it's set properly for DSM. If the hole is off from the line, the cam gear is set for EVO 4+. He has to check both IN/EX cam gears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back