The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4G63 in a BMW...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOW!!! And I was beginning to think I was the only one considering and engine swap on that 325e.For my engine swap I was considering a RB-Motor swap>>>
"BTW" Where did you get the front lip from?

RB would be a pain in the a**. It has been researched before. I think someone over there (bf.c) is putting a SR20 in a E30 M3, but that makes no sense to me. M50 all the way!!

A stock 4g63? Maybe.... As you probably know being a bimmer guy, the m20 is mostly a paper weight. Insane reliability, but hard to extract real good power from. I am not sure if this is an i or e, but both the m20b25 and m20b27 arent that great. Boosted they dont hold much. Best to simply swap in a m50/52 or a S50/52
Dark,
The m50 325 motor, or m52 motor (and please, no offense to any 4g63 owners as I am a hardcore dsm fan too LOL) since it is a little newer will be more reliable and hold more turbo power more efficently. The m50 or m52 has been shown to hold over 550whp on stock pistons, and over 900 on rods and crank. If you blow a M50/2 out it is because you didnt have enough fuel or tuning. No point in blowing out a good motor. The m50 or m52 will make a insane torque curve. They require much less boost than a 4g63 to make the same peak.
The s50 at 15psi on a gt35r has been proven time and time again for a solid 450-500whp with matching or close to matching peak torque. Why? I dont know, they are built well.
One token though, the s50 m power motor has thinner cylinder walls and a finiky HG design that prevents it from being reliable around 800whp, (but what motor is) and the 4g63 would surpass it at that peak. But the M52 built by "cardcounter" (DTM Power - BMW Message Board & Forum member) makes 998rwhp on stock crank and rods and is fully street driven.

I just want to point out that you are confusing boost/ psi with air flow, any larger displacement engine will require less boost to equal similar power, since the enigne will typically move more at the same rpm.

That being said, I love the swap I think it is freaking awesome. I for one love the 4G's power curve, and think it compliments the car well. :thumb:

Ripper, I am not confused.
Boosted, thanks for correcting me on Card Counter. I knew his car was a beast LOL.
Are you intending to make 600 bottom end on a S50 or M50? Either way it is very doable, and very fun project. I wouldnt mind getting another E30 and doing the M52 swap.
Glad to see another bimmer enthusiast that knows his stuff.

Boosted, thanks for correcting me on Card Counter. I knew his car was a beast LOL.
Are you intending to make 600 bottom end on a S50 or M50? Either way it is very doable, and very fun project. I wouldnt mind getting another E30 and doing the M52 swap.

s50.

pt61/tubular mani/meth (just in case)/eboost2/syanpse wg and bov/.140hg lowers compression to 8.9:1/stock 130k bottom end/refreshened head (all oem parts)/fuel rail/dual intank walbro's/stock intake mani/tuning stock 413dme/porsche 803 maf/dunno what else.

probably going to run a 3.5" exhaust the whole way. Obviously thats the last decision I will make.

Ill run 17-19 psi, whatever maxes out the turbo. I'm assuming 600whp or so. 93 pump + meth.

I will run a couple lower boost settings with just pump.

nice to see something different

I thought you where an Audi enthusiast? :spam: :beatentodeath:

That is awesome! i got a 1g and an E30 myself. I was going to try that swap because I love the 4g63, but my E30 is going to be my track car, in a class which does not allow engine swaps from anything other than a BMW, so I'm stuck with the M20 in it.

Any new updates on the swap!? I'm going through some decisions on swaps for my E30 (325e) my self but
I heard everything from m50, m52 to m30 can any one confirm whats the best in price to mod it and reliability at around 500 ponies!?

Any new updates on the swap!? I'm going through some decisions on swaps for my E30 (325e) my self but
I heard everything from m50, m52 to m30 can any one confirm whats the best in price to mod it and reliability at around 500 ponies!?

m50 vanos or m52.

I would go with a m52... 2.8 liter and vanos. Vanos has been proven to make more power under the curve. The 2.8 liter will give you some more meat between the cylinders, which these engines can use, over the M3's 3.0 or 3.2.

That being said, for the best bang for the buck you will want to go OBD I, so you would need the 3.0 or the 2.5 (best bang for the buck via tuning... you can have it remote tuned for around 700 bucks)

The new arp2000 non-undercut 10mm studs have been released for the same price as the old 8740 undercut studs (LOL at bmw prices, go figure)... this should result in many less blown hg's when reducing compression via a thicker hg.

The bottom end is good for 600whp or so, your goal of 500 at the crank is easy to achieve with a stock engine, stock fuel rail, stock intake manifold.

check out Bimmerforums.com - The Ultimate BMW Forum the forced induction section

damn nicely done!! amazed where a 4g63 can go now in days, and how many people preffer this motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back