The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G63 in a 1997 Saturn (what axles?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
DISCLAIMER: bench racing thread

I have a spare engine from a 1991 TSi that I'm tempted to do a silly engine swap with (FWD). Obviously I'll need custom engine mounts, custom plumbing, etc.

But what axles would I need?

I assume they need to be custom made, one end to fit the DSM trans and one end to fit the stock Saturn hubs. Is that correct? The cars are basically the same width. Not sure if that will help or not.

1997 SW2
Wheel base 102.4 in.
Width 66.7 in.

1991 Talon
Wheel base 97.2 in.
Width 66.5 in.

Here's a pic of the saturn engine bay.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The curb weight of my 1997 Saturn is 2,411 lbs ^_^

Last edited:
I like that Saturn 1.9L motor, it is a really good engine! Mine just rolled over 40k this last week on a rebuild at 260500 miles 3 years ago. Stout little things.
Sorry, off topic. :ohdamn:

I like that Saturn 1.9L motor, it is a really good engine! Mine just rolled over 40k this last week on a rebuild at 260500 miles 3 years ago. Stout little things.
Sorry, off topic. :ohdamn:

Yep, mine has about 300k on it. ^_^ A couple days ago it's not starting though, sounds like just whirring. It's probably just the starter, but my imagination was having fun with the idea of a 4g63 in it. :D

Erik, if you start a build thread on this, I'll definitely be watching.

While have the spare engine, I have nothing else.

So I'm currently on the lookout for a rusted out or wrecked, but running, 1g FWD. That way I have basically everything I need, engine, trans, ecu, shifter, etc. If I find one for the right price, it's game on. :D

What about using the entire hub/knuckle assembly from a 1g/2g? Might be easier to do that than custom axles.
Yeah but then what. Nothing is going to attach to the knuckle. The whole suspension geometry is already figured out and it's complex, I wouldn't open that can of worms.

If the dsm axles don't slide into the Saturns hubs, you'll need custom axles.

FYI. My wife drives a 1999 SL1. We are the original owners. 310,xxx miles. Original engine and transmission. It does use oil though and the compression is getting low. It is the only car she has ever had.

Yeah but then what. Nothing is going to attach to the knuckle. The whole suspension geometry is already figured out and it's complex, I wouldn't open that can of worms.

If the dsm axles don't slide into the Saturns hubs, you'll need custom axles.

If the dsm axles fit a Saturn hub, great. Custom axles are definitely an option if not.
But I'd say the hub knuckles are close enough to try and mock up at least.

Saturn

Dsm

Pictures not my own, grabbed from Google.

There enough similarity I'd be looking at frankensteining that a lil to avoid huge costs of custom axles, but that's all if you have the stuff laying around to check.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back