The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

4G63 in 99 RS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFreeman

Probationary Member
Aug 28, 2014
Bethalto, Illinois
So a buddy of mine just got a 99 Eclipse RS. Currently has the 420a. He wants to swap for a 4G63, But I told him I do not think it would be worth the time and money. So 1, Would it even be worth it for a 4G63 swap? 2. Would it just be better to turbo the 420a? Any input appreciated.

No. Try this thread. This topic has been beaten to death over and over and over. It would be the same amount of work to put a 4g63 into any car that physically has room. It is not a bolt in affair. You may as well consider an NT 2g car an entirely different car than a 4g63 equipped car because essentially it is.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/gs-to-gst-what-parts.223701/

^Beat me to it. Leave it stock. Your time and money will be MUCH better spent on a 4G63 platform.

The 420a sucks. Everyone knows this, even Paul Walker (RIP) knew this in the original F&F.

You will have a hard time doing 4g63 swap into a 420a shell due to motor mount, wiring, different timing side, etc... But if your friend wanted to do a 4g63 swap so bad, tell him to look into the Evo 8/9 4g63. :thumb: They have the same timing belt side, pretty similar to swap it in and much more easier than a DSM 4g63. But I'm guessing the hard part is, mounting, alternator, piping, axles, diff, and what FWD tranny is going to bolt up with a Evo 8/9 4g63 engine, etc.. I've seen a couple of guys done an Evo swap into a 2g 420a shell but will not be cheap, and not easy to do. There was a guy who done it on facebook in Eat Sleep DSM. If it were me, I would just leave it stock, save up money, buy a GSX or GST. A lot cheaper, and still have extra cash left to spend. ;)

But if your friend wanted to do a 4g63 swap so bad, tell him to look into the Evo 8/9 4g63. :thumb: They have the same timing belt side, pretty similar to swap it in and much more easier than a DSM 4g63. But I'm guessing the hard part is, mounting, alternator, piping, axles, diff, and what FWD tranny is going to bolt up with a Evo 8/9 4g63 engine, etc.. I've seen a couple of guys done an Evo swap into a 2g 420a shell but will not be cheap, and not easy to do.

I believe there is a thread on here somewhere, where a guy did this swap and used the bell housing side of a trans that had the evo8's 4g63 bolt pattern (3g maybe) and swapped it with the bell housing side of the 420a's transmission. Made it for the most part a "bolt in" affair, because you still use the 420's trans mounts... But still FWD, and probably still expensive....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back