The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4G63 in 1974 VW BEETLE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any idea on what it could be? I need to buy or make a boost leak tester to check for vac/boost leaks but it also stumbles and hiccups like this after you let off the throttle and it returns to idle.

Fixed code 42, no more CEL. Adjusted IPS and BISS and the idle is perfect now. Still a little hiccuping on accel/decel so ill have to see if I have an ignition misfire under load but everything is new besides the coil. Plug gap was adjusted but it wouldnt hurt to check it again. Also fixed throttle pedal because it was sticking before and was really sloppy. Put nylon washers in to clean up the slop and greased the cables. Need to fix slight coolant leak and top off coolant to watch temperature again and make sure it doesnt overheat. The temp was climbing today to 240 so I shut it off, but it definitely sounds like it is low on coolant/ has a bunch of air in system. Besides that, the prosport boost gauge doesnt work, I need to look into that but I think it has a bad boost sensor. It is pegged at 30" vacuum all the time.

sorry, forgot to refresh. Just get a new boost gauge from the classifieds! My pretty Eclipse (I have 2; one pretty, one ugly.) also overheats, even though mostly stock. I think I just put a bogus water pump on the engine. It happens, it's a thing. There are aftermarket water pumps out there with dubious impellers

I wired the cooling fan to be on all the time to see what happens. It doesnt overheat anymore and stays at a perfect 185 degrees. I dont think my fan switch was triggering soon enough, so I am just going to run the fan all the time. Other than that, the engine is basically done. Ill be ordering a different boost sender(only 25$), checked all the wiring and it is fine. Just need to clean up some minor things with the exterior lighting in the rear and my next project is moving onto the fiberglass pieces. Need to cut holes for the headlights on the front fenders, and touch-up the rear fenders slightly.

Yesterday I had a pretty cool idea, those nerf bars on the side I will be adding. Not only do they look good because the running board is missing, but it needs to bolt to the quarter panel. So I had an idea to put a brace inside the car where the nerf bar will bolt to. Basically it will help brace the body because the fire wall is missing, but also connect each nerf bar together to the chassis. The pictures dont do justice, it actually looks good in person LOL

Hey Alex, is there a good VW Bug forum you can recommend? I'm looking for an active forum with lots of info on mods, transmissions, motor swaps, etc.

I love this build, it's looking great!

What on planet earth is this beast of a mother? This is insane. How did you get the transmission to mate up to the flywheel? Direct fit?

The best vw forum I'm on in my opinion is thesamba.com . I have a build thread there too but no one shows interest because they are old guys LOL.

Being such a popular car , there is an adapter plate And flywheel for about every engine.

This is cool..u can use Datsun 280z axles in place of stock vw pieces a common upgrade for Baja's making big power .maybe a scoop kinda like the one on the Baja hotwheels. You can do a Vw type 3 rear brake conversion. A good site for some ideas is....the samba .com

Thanks for the tip about the datsun axles! I figured these stock ones wont last long and if they break I will be replacing them with those beefy ones. As for updates, just doing body work, finished the fiberglass and moving onto the actual body. Working on front apron and hood right now.

Update as of now, I drove it for the first time! The thing is really fast, and the stock BOV sounds amazing . I got yelled at by one of my neighbors for going too fast LOL. However, the front alignment needs to be messed with, particularly the camber because it drives like it has a mind of its own, steering wherever it wants. I figured I would update the whole front suspension and steering so I have some parts arriving tomorrow. Ill add some pics tomorrow! Im trying to get it drivable to get to the body shop right down the road. I want them to finish the body work professionally, then ship it to paint right away. Thinking either white or black, still need to decide. Im also talking to someone about a momo steering wheel :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I need to do some welding to the frame, rust has taken the best of this car. Besides that: 1.5" drop springs because one of the stock 40 year old springs is sagging. This will close the fender gap a bit and look nicer, hopefully will handle better too. The struts I have, I already updated them to a KYB gas charged. Supposedly they are better handling and ride quality than stock. With the lowering springs, a different sway bar and hardware are needed to compensate for caster being lost. The increased caster will keep it more stable at speed. I got a camber adjustment kit too which will help get an extra degree + or -. Finally, already installed I have the strut brace on top to once again increase stability and brace the body. I adjusted to steering box to get all the slop out to get more precise steering. I have a momo steering wheel on the way as well.

Donniegst... What the hell does your post have to do with Alex's?

Why clutter up his build thread with your pipe dream?

If you want to put a 4g63 in that 'thing' why don't you create your own build thread and put it there?

Alex keep up the good work it is coming along quite nice. I have been DSM and VW obsessed all my life.

Update as of now, I drove it for the first time! The thing is really fast, and the stock BOV sounds amazing . I got yelled at by one of my neighbors for going too fast LOL. However, the front alignment needs to be messed with, particularly the camber because it drives like it has a mind of its own, steering wherever it wants. I figured I would update the whole front suspension and steering so I have some parts arriving tomorrow. Ill add some pics tomorrow! Im trying to get it drivable to get to the body shop right down the road. I want them to finish the body work professionally, then ship it to paint right away. Thinking either white or black, still need to decide. Im also talking to someone about a momo steering wheel :thumb:

Oh and by the way on my 1969 VW Westfalia I had to replace the entire steering setup because it did exactly what you are talking about. I had about 5-8 inches of freeplay when driving. It almost looked as if I was fake driving like it did in the movies 40 years ago with the continuous movement of the steering wheel when driving in a straight line.

I hope that makes sense. If you do a google search you will discover what I am talking about.

Installed the suspension components, repaired the frame, and adjusted the steering box. Just needs an alignment now. Tomorrow and Wednesday hoping to get the roof body work finished up and ill be dropping it off at a local body shop for some repairs on the rear quarters and drivers side door. Here are some pics!

Underneath the beast

Before

After

Seam sealed and undercoated. Still need to apply a coat of POR15 to it.

Springs and sway bar installed. Also a better view of the disc brake setup

Sits much nicer, the fender gap will look a lot better.

More to come.

So how fast? Quick,scary,stupid...or Ludicrous?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back