The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G63 in 1974 VW BEETLE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got it running today, seems to run a lot smoother. I swapped fuel regulators and power transistor. Don't know if that made any changes because I only ran it for a minute. Just need to hook up throttle cable. Will take video soon

Not sure if anyone asked, but what it the weight distribution now? Seems like the engine is further back than the stock one was, so there is even less weight on the front axle now. Other than that you are doing a great job :)

Alex, if I lived closer to you I would make a trip just to shake your hand. Super cool build man, keep on it. I'll also take the 'lower it' comments a step farther by saying slam this beast
My brother-in-law and I were just talking about doing a 4g swap in his '74 super too. Sub'd

Thanks guys! About the weight distribution, I have though of it. I might add weight to the front but I still havent driven it yet so I guess I will need to test and tune!

Could always mount a spare in the front to help add some weight. Maybe a little tox box just incase your out cruising and something happens. Then hopefully you could at least fix to get it home.

Are you going to put the car on a scale to see what your final build weight is?

Yes kolio that is the plan after it is driving.

I need some help from you DSM gurus. The engine starts sometimes and doesnt start others. Itll get too much fuel and flood. I run it up to operating temp then it starts to bog down and run really rich. Usually 02 sensors will do this when they go into closed loop but the sensor is "new" from PO and it should be in closed loop for some time after the 02 is heated. I was thinking inputs like ECT, MAF+IAT, IAC, CAS, TPS would cause issues not always starting because of too much fuel delivery. Like spark is not always there or it is adding way to much fuel. I have shorted ECT wires to simulate it being really hot, thus adding less fuel and that seems to work and start it up or have it attempt to start. I have been told check for boost/intake leaks, fuel pressure etc. but Im just curious if there are any common issues out there. Thanks

I will ive been busy lately, i havent forgotten about it yet LOL

Nice build for sure!

Here's who you're chasing- this guy runs almost every week at my local dragstrip. He drives the car to the track, and drives it home each time. The thing is STUPID-reliable, even with wheel stands on every launch. :D

Personal best of 10.06 and somewhere in the mid-130's.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I like your wheelie machine! Still got my first car, my 66 Beetle[DOUBLEPOST=1415404243][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry, my first post on the new site[DOUBLEPOST=1415404459][/DOUBLEPOST]Do wally 190s over-run stock FPRs? I, too, need to know this for my 94 Eclipse which is running way too rich and dumping fuel into the engine, especially at idle/low-load running>

Attachments

• july 20 2010 (43).JPG
    july 20 2010 (43).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 119
  • july 20 2010 (43).JPG
    july 20 2010 (43).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 180
Brownfinger, I am thinking this is the issue but I have not confirmed yet with a fuel pressure test. If anyone knows, please chime in so I can buy a AFPR

I am interested to know the completed weight. I saw the smart car swap on here and have been keeping my eyes peeled for one of those. This thing should wheelie pretty good

sorta an interesting thing for me... My other automotive love besides the 1G DSM platform is my 66 type I VW. If I chopped up a perfectly good piece of German Beetle to put a 4G6 in it, I'd'a done a transverse mid-engine with the 5-speed mitsu gearbox and driveline, but, whatevs... Good for you. Search the issue on here (tuners). I recall hearing both that a wally 190 does and does not over-run a stock FPR... But it's appearing to us both that maybe it does. GP of Brazil starts in a few! Yay!

The w190 shouldn't over run the stock fpr. But it really depends on the condition of the fpr. You can check your pressure first and see. Or get a nice fuel lab afpr and be able to adjust and see. I never had a issue running my 190 or 255 on my stock 2g fpr or running a fp255 on my gvr4's stock fpr. When I switched to the 255 I used a old b&m fpr, I got when I bought my Talon LOL. And then I bought a banjo adapter off ebay. So I could tap in a fuel gauge. I have a fuel lab afpr on the gvr4 now. Didn't want to risk it. Anyway there's some options out there. It's best to check at see what your presure is and go from there. Nice build by the way! ;) It's funny there's a old bettle out here just sitting at my daughters daycare. It's fully caged already and looks like it was raced back in the day. I've been thinking how fun it would be to get and swap a 4g63 into it :) maybe after the gvr4 and talon are done haha!!

Last edited:
I am working on it tomorrow it has been cold!! Ill clean up the garage and try to get it heated. Forgot I had just water in it and it froze and popped out a core plug :ohdamn: My expensive rad is thawing in the basement hopefully everything is ok, it should be it wasnt completely full anyways. :pray: LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back