The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G63 head on 4G37 block <<<searched>>>

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmalone

Probationary Member
Feb 14, 2005
franklin, Tennessee
ok like the title says i did search but i am a newbie, i went through the 15 pages of cylinder and short block area. okay here goes i bought a jdm motor through a company a few years ago, put it in a car dropped a valve now i need a piston. problem is it has a 4g63 head and the block is stamped 4g37 but the deck looks just like the 2.0. i have been everywhere trying to find one piston to fit in this block, the 1.8l piston is too small and the 2.0 is too big, has anyone else ran into this problem and know what i can do? also can i turbo this motor, stock psi?

thanks in advance for all the help

so you have a 1.8 liter dohc 4g37???i know theres a 1.8 liter 4g67 and a 1.6 liter 4g61,ive personally never heard of that motor.

timloomis said:
so you have a 1.8 liter dohc 4g37???i know theres a 1.8 liter 4g67 and a 1.6 liter 4g61,ive personally never heard of that motor.
the 4g37 is a sohc

i know,i just dont know what he means.it sounds like hes trying to say his sohc has a dohc head on it.

I know that hyundai used some smaller versions of our motor, maybe thats what he has. :dsm:

ok yeah that was a major typo. the block i have is a 4g67 and the head that came bolted to it is a 4g63.

also i have talked to some local people and they say i can throw some 2.0 turbo pistons in there and turbo this motor just fine without any problems. are the rods any different than the ones that come in this combination? please let me know because i want to put this together now that i just bought a 94 eclipse for 65 bucks. haha some kid thought it was an interference motor and the timing belt snapped, i didnt question it just threw 65 at him and picked it up. brand new tires, trans just rebuilt (yes auto, worst part about the car). ok someone fill me in on this thanks a lot

jmalone said:
also i have talked to some local people and they say i can throw some 2.0 turbo pistons in there and turbo this motor just fine without any problems. are the rods any different than the ones that come in this combination? please let me know because i want to put this together now that i just bought a 94 eclipse for 65 bucks. haha some kid thought it was an interference motor and the timing belt snapped, i didnt question it just threw 65 at him and picked it up. brand new tires, trans just rebuilt (yes auto, worst part about the car). ok someone fill me in on this thanks a lot

If that '94 has a 4G63 in it then it is an interference engine :nono:
Still worth $65 though.

the 4g67 is the hyndai engine found in elantra's.its a 1.8 liter engine.

Hey thanks for the replies, but the car currently has the 1.8 sohc motor in it. The motor i had bought for another car is gone but i pieced together good parts of other motors. But none the less, yes i know this is confusing, the motor ordered came with the dohc head and the 4g67 bottom end but the deck looks like the 2.0 block. OK i feel like im repeating myself all over again and sorry for that. a few questions.

1. what pistons can i put in this? (remember one is missing b/c of a dropped valve)

2. is this a from the factory combination?

3. can i use this motor with the transmission that is in the car with the 1.8?
(probably doesnt matter b/c i will eventually convert to manual)

4. with the motor combo is that safe to do a mild turbo, stock or maybe a tiny more than stock

5. can i use the rods that are currently in the motor, i do have all four. They have a stamping on the side as such: *G6*C*

I know this sounds like a lot but I am new to the DSM's and am very willing to learn more.

Thanks guys you are a big help

the engine that you ordered or whatever is a 4g67 from what you describe.it looks exactly like a 4g63 untill you read 4g67 on the block.it was built like that from the factory,just look under the hood of a 95 hyndai elantra.the tranny "should" bolt up and the rods should be ok because your only going to run a mild setup,like 8 psi.i know all 4g63 6 bolt rods are the same.you just gotta worry more about pistons with a turbo engine.

cool well thanks for that bit of info, it was exactly what i was looking for. i found a guy on here selling some 2.0 turbo pistons for a 4g63. i am figuring i can just have the cylinders bored out to accept these pistons and i should be okay from there. tell me if i am wrong. thanks

So you want to install a 2.0 block into a 1.8 chassis?

I have not heard of anyone swapping out a 1.8 motor and putting a 2.0 in. Ive heard of NT 2.0 motors coming out and replaced w/ a 2.0 turbo however.

I dont see how that will work out unless the 1.8 chassis already has the bolt on points for the motor mounts and trans and you swap out the whole wiring harness for it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back