The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

4g63 forklift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxitement

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
DOBBS FERRY, New_York
So I'm at work, and I have a job to do on a Mitsubishi forklift. I lift the hatch and see what looks like a G54B valvecover. As I start taking it apart, stuff starts looking really familiar! Turns out, it's a 4G63 block, with a single cam head. This thing can run on either propane or gasoline. Gonna try and learn more about it as I go LOL
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats cool, i fixed a cover last year from a mitsu truck, its most likely a galant 63 as they was SOHC for us at least anyway

It even has a BS delete from factory, now whack a turbo on that beast

That's a G63B truck engine, came in the early model mighty max/d50/triton etc. Those forklifts came with 4d55(T) mitsubishi diesels as well.

The one on this motor is actually 180° from the stock ones we're used to stock. The filter is close to the crank pulley. If you look at the pic of the front of the motor, the oil filter is just below the alternator.
yeah I noticed that too, I think he meant the mightymax/d50 oil filter housing a lot of people mix up the trucks with the forklifts.

That's a G63B truck engine, came in the early model mighty max/d50/triton etc. Those forklifts came with 4d55(T) mitsubishi diesels as well.

This engine is not a G63B, which was in the trucks, see the picture above of the motor code, if it was it would have jet valves in the head it's a simple 4G63 sohc, the B at the end of any Mitsubishi motor code meant the heads had the MCA jet valves G63B/4G63, G64B/4G64, G54B/4G54... all the motors that have 4 in the beginning of the code and no B, that I have worked on, have never had jet valves, thats not to say that someone could have swapped a non jet head onto any of them, or vice versa, I did on my mighty max truck to delete the jet valves, but from all the years I have spent working on the sohc motors, that is one thing that I have noticed about the ending B code version of the Mitsubishi engines they all had jet valves.

yeah I noticed that too, I think he meant the mightymax/d50 oil filter housing a lot of people mix up the trucks with the forklifts.

This engine is not a G63B, which was in the trucks, see the picture above of the motor code, if it was it would have jet valves in the head it's a simple 4G63 sohc, the B at the end of any Mitsubishi motor code meant the heads had the MCA jet valves G63B/4G63, G64B/4G64, G54B/4G54... all the motors that have 4 in the beginning of the code and no B, that I have worked on, have never had jet valves, thats not to say that someone could have swapped a non jet head onto any of them, or vice versa, I did on my mighty max truck to delete the jet valves, but from all the years I have spent working on the sohc motors, that is one thing that I have noticed about the ending B code version of the Mitsubishi engines.

These jet valves your talking about, what were their purpose?

These jet valves your talking about, what were their purpose?
"emissions" most CA vehicles had them, but I deleted mine. MCA-jet or "Mitsubishi clean air" jet valve, it would swirl the combustion [sort of like a poly quad head only it was to reduce emissions] the heads tended to crack more easily then the non jet heads, they would get a lot of carbon buildup on the small jet valves too, and sometimes they would stick open at all times, especially if you did not de-carbonize the motor very often, the jet valves also were made of a different metal then the head, so they had a different expansion rate so they would damage the heads in many cases, you can read more about them on mightymax forums and wikpedia they were mostly in the sohc mitsu motors.

Yeah the Starion/Conquests had the jet valves and they plagued the cars to no end. Both starquests I had wound up cracking the heads between the jet valve and the intake valve if I recall correctly. Working on this forklift is awesome though. Really enjoying it. My first time getting to really work on one.

The 4g63 came in many different forklifts over the years. They could either be balanced (with a balance shaft) or unbalanced (without a balance shaft). There are all kinds of different Mitsubishi engines offered in forklifts.
There have been the following Mitsu engines offered in forklifts over the years:
4G32
4G33
4G52
4G54
4G63
4G64
6G72
S4E
S4S
S6E
S6S

And here's the 4G63 engine specs for anyone that is interested.

Specifications - MITSUBISHI - 4G63

Basic Engine Values
Make:
MITSUBISHI
Engine Cylinders:
Engine Model:
4G63
Engine Displacement CID:
Litre:
Firing Order:
1-3-4-2
Engine Displacement CC:
Stroke:
Bore:
Spark Plug Type:
Gas:W14EX-U
Oil Capacity w/Filter:
5.08 US qts
Oil Pressure:
Compression Ratio:
Engine Compression:
142 PSI
Spark Plug Gap:
.028-.031
Distributor Gap:
Point Gap:
.018-.020
Idle RPM:
600 RPM
Ignition Timing Idle Speed:
(GAS) 4 deg.BTDC/740 (LPG) 9 deg.BTDC/740

Yeah the Starion/Conquests had the jet valves and they plagued the cars to no end. Both starquests I had wound up cracking the heads between the jet valve and the intake valve if I recall correctly. Working on this forklift is awesome though. Really enjoying it. My first time getting to really work on one.

Yeah this was my mighty max head, back when i got the truck it was not running so this damage was PO, same as starion 2.6. the g63b also had the same issue with the heads cracking I have a few junk ones lying around I probably will end up using them as cores at junk yards.

Yeah this was my mighty max head, back when i got the truck it was not running so this damage was PO, same as starion 2.6. the g63b also had the same issue with the heads cracking I have a few junk ones lying around I probably will end up using them as cores at junk yards.

Ugh yep!!!! That's it LOL.

Good to see another 4G63 in it's natural habitat...Looks dirty, abused, and if I had to guess, poorly maintained.

Bet the owners talk shit about how that forklift is trash, and always breaks down.

The are really common. At least I guess I've seen a lot of them. Factory I worked at used nothing but mitsu forklifts. Most all of the gas burners where mitsubishi.

Was so relieved when they moved the gas burners to the load dock and high bay and brought electric lifts to production/paintline. Hated the smell of propane exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back