The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

4g63 DOHC head on 4g64?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi_psi_dsm07

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2006
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
hi, my buddy just bought a '98 galant es and asked me what he could do to make it faster. I looked on the computer to see what engine is in the car and dicovered it is equiped with a 2.4l 4g64. I've heard of others making stroker motors out of these engines by using the block and crank.

Am I right? If so, can I just put a 4g63 head on the 4g64 block, or do I need to use all of the 4g63 internals also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanx :dsm:

You'd need to buy shorter pistons or the 2.4L pistons will hit the 4g63 head. And you might as well buy some forged rods while you're at it. Are you looking to turbo it?

You'll also need to use the 4g64 cam gears on the 4g63 head.

I am looking to turbo it, one of the main reasons for this swap.

Are the forged rods necessary? I don't know how high my friend's budget is, and I'm trying to use as many stock parts as I can.

And isn't the 4g64 SOHC? There will be only one cam gear, the 4g63 has two.

Thanx:dsm:

If you can install a 4G64 crank into a 4G63 to make a stroker kit, why when you install a 4G63 head into a 4G64 make the crank hit the head? Wouldn't it technically equal the same volume? :confused:

Also, from a budget standpoint. Isn't the 4G64 (despite being single-overhead cam) still feature 16 valves? Unless of course you wanted the 4G63 head to install the intake manifold and all the turbo goodies... But for that chunk of change couldn't you just buy a turbo kit for a 4G64??? ;)

It would be the pistons hitting the head, I'm guessing b/c it's a N/t and needs a taller piston to acheive a higher compression ratio.

And I thought by doing this swap, my buddy could save some money, compared to buying a turbo kit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back