The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

4G63 Build for my Tiburon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueShark01

Probationary Member
Jun 28, 2020
Carmi, Illinois
Hello! I am in the early stages of planning an engine swap for my 2006 Hyundai Tiburon. However, i have done some research and am wanting to get a few pointers on my potential build. I have only had time to research parts for the engine but here's what I have:

< I plan to begin by rebuilding the engine and replacing as many gaskets and seals as reasonable
< I also plan to change out the harder-to-get-to sensors(such as crank positioning sensor)
< Also change out all fluids and filters
< Hot tank the block
< Resurface the head and many other tidy up tasks
Now for parts:
< Weapon R intake manifold
< DeastschWerks 1300cc fuel injectors
< Crower High performance cams
< Manley 86mm 9.0:1 pistons
< Manley I-beam rods
< Fp3065 turbo (heard this is a good one to go with but am open to others)
< Intercooler with custom piping
< CAI with custom piping
< Custom single-exit (or maybe dual-exit) exhaust
< Custom engine mounts
< Oil catch
< Megan racing short shifter
< AEM EMS V2
< Mishimoto radiator

Now, if anyone could give me some pointers that would be very appreciated(such as whether or not I should run an external wastegate setup)! My end goal is to get between 400 and 500 hp, if that helps. Thank you!!

So if I remember right, the Tiburon is a rear wheel drive car isn't it, oh and WELCOME to the best dsm forum you can possibly stumble upon.
Fill out a vehicle profile, others can see it and continue to get involved with these cars and their motors. If your car is RWD, then the adaptor for the 4g63 block to your choice of transmission will be one thing to be on the look out for. If it is FWD, then be thinking about a total engine/trans/ecu swap which can no doubt be done, but ALOT of custom work. If you are a competent DYI'er, then this swap is right for you. The car is a good little coupe.
Marty

Tiburon is a fwd car, believe they used the theta engine? Or some v6.

Are you planning to keep the original trans or swap it for a DSM model as well?

Otherwise the plan is pretty straight forward.

You'll have alot of wiring and custom fabbing to do.

Get a six bolt main 4g63 to prevent crank walk. That version of the 4g63 is in all first gen eclipses, talons, Plymouth laser ect. You got alot of work to do, i would use the more reliable 6-bolt engine. You can always also get a second gen 4g63 and do a 6-bolt conversion like many of us do with our second gen eclipses and talons.

My Tiburon is actually FWD and it uses the Theta 2.0L 4 cylinder. I bought it as a gas saver for college because I had to drive 60 miles there and back five days a week and my V6 3g eclipse was a gas hog(had to fill up every three or four days). I honestly have considered making my car RWD after I found that they do make adapters. I would just have to find all the drivetrain components and then try and make it fit. Ive not decided but I am considering keeping it fwd. And i'm planning to swap my trans for a dsm one. To help make my money back a little bit, I plan on reselling as many parts as I can that I will no longer use as well as stripping the donor car. Yes I know it will be a lot of work. And I am a DIY'er. It usually saves me money unless I break stuff. Plus its a learning experience.

My main question though is what else should I run? Such as an external wastegate set up or what bov should I go with. Just wanting some additional pointers. Thank you!

Tial makes really good turbo accessories wastegates and BOV's, they are quite expensive though. I am currently using the greddy FV bov its a little cheaper than tial. Make sure you don't vent it to atmosphere these motors run funny if you don't recirculate the boost. Dsm link or similar products will allow you to tune the motor thats a great early item to get so you can keep track of the parameters of the motor as you add new parts.

If you're going to get a complete donor car, then might as well start with all stock stuff, make sure it works correctly, then go about an upgrade path to your goal. Parts will not exactly match up, so things like manifolds, wastegates etc may not be wise to invest in out the gate.

No actually. I've never heard or seen it done before. I have seen a lot of people drop in some bigger Hyundai engines I do believe

Also. To do the 6-bolt swap, would I need to just get a 6-bolt block and then build the rest of the engine in that block?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep if you get a turbo 4g63t from 1990 to 94
It will be six bolt. If you have to buy a 7 bolt from 1995-99 you can covert it to a 6 but the 90-94 would be ideal. The great part about the turbo 4g63 engine is they come factory with a fully forged bottom end pistons, rods, and crank with a cast iron block. Ive seen people run 500hp on the stock bottom end. I don't know how much you've heard about these engines but being older motors under the load of turbo they require alot of TLC and maintenance. But once everything gets all the proper maintenance done gaskets seals ect. Rings thrust bearings valve seals water pump oil pump timing belt, the motor will be stronger than a bull on steroids. But if you plan on breaking into the mid 500's then you will probably want to upgrade the bottom end. I went with eagle pistons and rods set up and it sets a little over 400whp. I built mine that way because i dont ever want to tare the block down again, but if I get bored and feel the need to go crazy i can just equip a higher grade turbo.

I hope you can do it successfully, it would probably be the only 4g63 Tiburon in the world LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep if you get a turbo 4g63t from 1990 to 94
It will be six bolt....
This is not correct. The 6-bolt engines were only available up to and most of the way through the 1992 model year. Later 1G models (late 92, 93-94) were equipped with a 7-bolt engine which shared at least some components with the 2G 7-bolt engine. Also the designation of "6-bolt" has nothing to do with the "main". The only thing it refers to is how many bolts are used connecting either the drive plate or flywheel to the crankshaft.

Get a six bolt main 4g63 to prevent crank walk. That version of the 4g63 is in all first gen eclipses, talons, Plymouth laser ect. You got alot of work to do, i would use the more reliable 6-bolt engine. You can always also get a second gen 4g63 and do a 6-bolt conversion like many of us do with our second gen eclipses and talons.

Only partially correct. Yes 6 bolt engines came in 1G cars, but not ALL 1Gs. This version was only available from 90-mid 92 when they swapped to a 7 bolt. I agree, though, try to find a 6 bolt since they were built a bit stronger.

This is not correct. The 6-bolt engines were only available up to and most of the way through the 1992 model year. Later 1G models (late 92, 93-94) were equipped with a 7-bolt engine which shared at least some components with the 2G 7-bolt engine. Also the designation of "6-bolt" has nothing to do with the "main". The only thing it refers to is how many bolts are used connecting either the drive plate or flywheel to the crankshaft.

Well crap, maybe I should have read all posts before posting my comment. Didn't see you already covered this before posting it.

I hope you can do it successfully, it would probably be the only 4g63 Tiburon in the world LOL.

I'm sure there's others. Hell, I even found a 4g63 swapped Kia Forte coupe like mine, and this car has the engine positioned like an Evo, 180* from where our 4g63 sits, and it was still done right.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back