The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

4g63 '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse II GS from Portugal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice stance, believe it sits on coilovers.
AWD conversion key points describe here. Hope it will help you
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VunbXSUCYAw&list=LL&index=1

Is 2g available with AWD in Portugal? Or only 1gs?
Thanks!!!

The 2G Eclipses weren't sold in Portugal, the ones that exist here are imported, like mine (from Germany).
Yes, the GSX was sold in Europe but they are very, very rare. There may be one or two in Portugal, if there are any.

Thanks!!!

The 2G Eclipses weren't sold in Portugal, the ones that exist here are imported, like mine (from Germany).
Yes, the GSX was sold in Europe but they are very, very rare. There may be one or two in Portugal, if there are any.
yes, looks they are very rare. But I thought AWD available in Portugal.
Saw this add. autto.pt/en/auto/mitsubishi-eclipse-gs-1997-igjVOP.html
But it was three years back and that tell how rare it is.
BTW, good to caught someone in Portugal who love 2gs.

Update on this build.

I am foccused on repairing what needs repair.
Done:
  • Repaired steering pump leak;
  • Replaced faulty alternator (may have been damaged due to steering pump leak).
To do (in the next weeks/months):
  • Replace MAF sensor;
  • Fix water infiltration in the hatch.
To do (in the next 1 or 2 years):
  • Complete engine rebuild (burning oil);
  • Treat rust in the hatch door, next to the windshield;
  • 18'' wheels (didn't decide which ones yet):
    • SL01 bronze;
    • JR32 gold;
    • JR5 bronze;
    • JR3 bronze;
    • JRX6;
    • JRX3.
Also, I spoke with a Portuguese guy who actually converted his N/A 4g63 to turbo and I now know exactly what I need.

200 HP build:
  • Turbo (obviously);
  • Manifold;
  • 550cc Injectors;
  • Intercooler kit;
  • Camshaft.
  • Turbo ECU from a 98/99 GST (black one) (MD346676).
350+ HP build:
  • Everything on the 200 HP build;
  • Pistons;
  • Rods.

Last edited:
Update:
  • Disassembled the engine to figure out why it was burning oil... turns out it had fissures in two of the cylinders. Long story short, found a good deal and replaced the engine;
  • Block machined;
  • New rod bearings;
  • New piston rings;
  • New water pump;
  • New gaskets;
  • New MAF;
This is going to be a slow-paced build because I am working on a strict budget. Still, despite that sad finding when disassembling the engine, I'm proud of how things are going.

Also, here's an update on what is needed to safely turbocharge a n/a 4g63 for those who also need this info.

You should be proud of the thorough work you are doing getting ready for the turbo build! It's always better to get all the information and have a complete plan first, then start the build, many people do it the other way around and left with a messed up project that never runs again.

A wanted to take a look at the parts list, but I couldn't open it. Can you check if the link is right? (maybe there is something with the authorizations)

You should be proud of the thorough work you are doing getting ready for the turbo build! It's always better to get all the information and have a complete plan first, then start the build, many people do it the other way around and left with a messed up project that never runs again.

A wanted to take a look at the parts list, but I couldn't open it. Can you check if the link is right? (maybe there is something with the authorizations)
Thank you, you are absolutely right! Better safe than sorry!
Don't know what's wrong because the link works just fine for me, but here's a google sheets copy:

OBS: a stock GST build would be a lot cheaper.

That is a great list! You will need to run over it maybe once again, but it covers about everything you will need for a 300 hp build.

As for the 'may not need' parts:

- An MDP is not necessary, a MAP sensor better, but it's still only going to be used for fine tuning if you have ECMlink. However you will still need something wired into the oem GST ECU, because it will look for an MDP and throw a constant check engine light if you leave it out.

- The throttle body depends on your intercooler piping choice. If you use the intercooler piping you have in the main list you will need a GS-T throttle body for that (I have the same setup). If you go with an universal piping you can connect the GS TB with a coupler. The main difference between the two throttle bodies is that our OEM GS ones have a small pipe on them to connect to the intake with a coupler, while the GS-T ones have a flat surface, so it connects with bolts. I attached some pictures so you can see the difference:

OEM GS throttle body:
1695621037746.png

1695621070081.png

OEM GS-T Throttle Body:
1695621052436.png

Good luck with gathering the parts, and remember if you have a question, you can ask anytime!

Last edited:
Update:
  • Disassembled the engine to figure out why it was burning oil... turns out it had fissures in two of the cylinders. Long story short, found a good deal and replaced the engine;
  • Block machined;
  • New rod bearings;
  • New piston rings;
  • New water pump;
  • New gaskets;
  • New MAF;
This is going to be a slow-paced build because I am working on a strict budget. Still, despite that sad finding when disassembling the engine, I'm proud of how things are going.

Also, here's an update on what is needed to safely turbocharge a n/a 4g63 for those who also need this info.
Have you had the cylinders checked before you start ordering pistons? Since you're going forged you'll still want a proper PTW clearance. You might have to go .020 over or larger to get a good cylinder geometry.

Forged isn't strictly necessary for 350, but once you start getting into overbores, it might be harder to source OE in larger sizes nowadays.

You won't need the MDP sensor, especially with an aftermarket ECU. Even for link it's useless when it comes to tuning and most people swap in a MAP sensor adapter. the MDP sensor is just a 2g emissions thing.

That is a great list! You will need to run over it maybe once again, but it covers about everything you will need for a 300 hp build.

As for the 'may not need' parts:

- An MDP is not necessary, a MAP sensor better, but it's still only going to be used for fine tuning if you have ECMlink. However you will still need something wired into the oem GST ECU, because it will look for an MDP and throw a constant check engine light if you leave it out.

- The throttle body depends on your intercooler piping choice. If you use the intercooler piping you have in the main list you will need a GS-T throttle body for that (I have the same setup). If you go with an universal piping you can connect the GS TB with a coupler. The main difference between the two throttle bodies is that our OEM GS ones have a small pipe on them to connect to the intake with a coupler, while the GS-T ones have a flat surface, so it connects with bolts. I attached some pictures so you can see the difference:

OEM GS throttle body:
View attachment 708703
View attachment 708705

OEM GS-T Throttle Body:
View attachment 708704

Good luck with gathering the parts, and remember if you have a question, you can ask anytime!
Thank you! That's great info!

Have you had the cylinders checked before you start ordering pistons? Since you're going forged you'll still want a proper PTW clearance. You might have to go .020 over or larger to get a good cylinder geometry.

Forged isn't strictly necessary for 350, but once you start getting into overbores, it might be harder to source OE in larger sizes nowadays.

You won't need the MDP sensor, especially with an aftermarket ECU. Even for link it's useless when it comes to tuning and most people swap in a MAP sensor adapter. the MDP sensor is just a 2g emissions thing.
Not yet. And I won't be ordering pistons just yet, but thanks for the heads up!

I have some of the parts you have on your list that you (might still) need. I'm based in Luxembourg.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back