The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derekkeiser33

Probationary Member
Mar 24, 2023
Wyoming
New to the dsm.

Looking to build my gsx to 500whp.

What is recommended to get to 500whp and be reliable.

Best block to buy? Turbo. Etc.

Thanks!

So many things to learn padawan... welcome to DSM

500whp safely will have you needing rods, pistons, injectors, gauges, fuel pump, bigger turbo(hx40 or something else) and a way to tune.

If youre manual youll also need a good clutch to hold the power.

Spend some time on the search feature as others on here might flame away because they dont want to spoon feed you info.

What is recommended to get to 500whp and be reliable.

Maybe $10-15K and learning how to drive without breaking anything.

Seriously, you're talking about 2.5X the stock output and your new to the game.

Reliability starts with basic maintenance and a healthy engine, no matter what horsepower youre at. No fluid leaks, no boost leaks, good compression. Do you have that? Miles since last timing belt change?

learning how to drive without breaking anything.
What is this superhero power that you're referring to? :D

Great place to not get any info. 👏🏼🤡
This forum has twenty years of information and this topic has been covered dozens of times during that period. A 500 horsepower DSM will have routine issues that you will need to figure out by yourself; this isn't Facebook, and you're asking people to hold your hand through a very long process, because you're refusing to do basic reading. Figuring out how to use the search function is a requirement to the most basic of builds and troubleshooting - if you can't do the bare minimum to search for it instead of being spoon-fed in a single topic, I'm sorry, but a 500 horsepower DSM is not for you.

Last edited:
Crazy how right under this thread there is this nifty little section with 5 articles of the same name...
Why come for advice if you clown on the people giving it to you? Go back to Facebook, and sell one of us the car once you blow it up with crappy mods.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

YOu are getting answers, just not the ones that you want to hear which is probably some type of list of specific parts.
You asked for 500whp and reliable. What makes you think this is possible with these 20+ year old cars? That was the reason I sent you on the path to reliability when I asked about the condition of your car and if it is currently healthy. No response from you with more information. You cant have a reliable 500whp GSX if you cant even maintain a healthy 200+ hp GSX. Which is also what @Spleen8urLSX was saying about getting to 350 and being reliable there first and then think about 500hp. @enrique4044 gave you an overview of what would be needed. If you want more specific answers than you need to read the information on the site so that you have the knowledge to ask more specific, intelligent questions.

Last edited:
Heres your shopping list

Manley ibeam rods
Wiseco 1400hd pistons
Walboro 450 or hellcat 525
Ecmlink or other tuning(and someone to tune)
Wideband gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Fic 1650 or bigger injectors
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Hx40 or bigger turbo
T3 or t4 manifold
Front mount intercooler
Good solid twin diskcutch
Kelford 272 cams
Kiggly race springs and titanium retainers
Good place to get e85

Plus all of your maintenance pieces including oem gaskets, waterpump, timing components and machine work. And then a good boost leak teaster and a way to fix your leaks.

Ps... i warned you to search 1st

*sigh*
Okay. Fine. Here's your list:
Engine block: 4G63 with aftermarket rods and pistons. Perhaps an Eagle crank. Compression ratio and brands/materials will depend on if you decide to run race gas, 93, or e85. Not sure what you meant by "best block to buy" as using a different block requires substantial fabrication... but being new to the DSM world I guess you wouldn't realize that.
Turbo: Holset HX-40 (there are others that will get you to 500, but there's oh so much to going into that rabbit hole...do I run twin scroll or not, how much modification do I want to do to the radiator area, what are my state's emissions laws, how do I want to route the exhaust, yadda yadda yadda...)
Injectors: FIC 1650's
Exhaust: 3" turbo back
Engine management: DSMLink V3

I am sure you know reliability has to do with the quality of the parts and even more with the quality of the work. Overbuild the engine by 20% to ensure your parts integrity.

You now have a list of parts that will get you to 500whp. There's a lot more, but it would seem as though listing those things (tuning, supporting components, optional mods, logging and information, getting the power to the ground, etc.) isn't necessary.
Did we just do the same thing? Jinx

I didn't want to type so copy and paste:

Holset HX40 7 blade from Justin Whitesell,38mm Tial Waste gate with 22lb springs, 3" Exhaust with Electric Dump, Cold Air Intake, 5 Speed with 4 Spyder Center Dif, Rear LSD, Dragonfly T-3 Header, .82 BEP T-3 Housing, DSM Link V3 Full, AFPR, MBC, LC-2 Wideband, VRSF FMIC, 1G Crushed BOV, Kelford 272 cams, Adj. Timing Gears, B&M Oil Cooler, Speed Density,OmniPower GM-style 4-bar MAP sensor, GM IAT sensor, AEM Water/Meth, T I Industries 525 "Hellcat" Fuel Pump, Fuel pump rewire, FuelLab E85 Filter, Full 8AN feed from tank to rail, 6AN Return, FIC 2150's running 40lbs/boost on the Holset.
New rear brake lines, new tie rod ends, new front strutsMods-EngineARP L-19 Head studs, HKS MLS Headgasket, Eagle Crank, Manley H-Beam Rods with ARP625 Rod Bolts, ARP Main Studs, Kiggly Main Girdle, ACL Race Bearings, Manley 10:1 Ceramic coated Pistons, Kelford 272 cams, Supertech Valves, Guides, Seals, Springs, Retainers and Manley locks., BSE, oil passages smoothed and Kiggly HLA - Short block from BUILT4G63 - REBUILT by me. Rings were too tight for 40 lbs of boost so I gapped new rings accordingly.Mods-EMS & LoggingDSM Link V3, LC-2 Wideband, Speed Density, Flex FuelMods-DrivetrainQuaterMaster Twin Disk 8 Leg clutch, New CV Shafts, Jacks Stage 2 Race Transmission refreshed by myself with the help of some good members on here!

That, along with what the other members mentioned, should net you 500HP.
Now, how much money........IDK?

Are you f*cking serious?

Nobody anywhere is going to help you if you can't even help yourself. This doesn't just apply to DSMs.

Ignoring the first set of results since they're from this thread, https://www.dsmtuners.com/search/1618820/?q=500whp&o=date

NO introduction to what car you even have, IF you even have one
NO information on what has been done to the car thus far

Oh, why do I get the impression that even after being fed a mountain of information when only offering less than 30 words of input, you'd still throw a tantrum about not being helped.

Vague questions bring vague responses, there’s more than one way to skin a cat therefore there’s too many answers to the question. Example, you can make 500 on an untouched stock bottom end and have it last a while in a lot of cases, however you can do h beams and forged pistons and a girdle and kill it in one rip if your tunes out of wack, so on so on. Fuel selection also plays a big part, someone who hits that number on an FP red turbo running e85 or 110 octane wouldn’t be likely to see that number tuning on 93 octane pump gas, etc. So many different paths to get to that answer when it’s that vague it’s hard to say. Reason for my response is 9 times out of 10 that kind of question is asked by someone new (true in your case as you stated), therefore when people say “I want x amount of power reliably” my advice is shoot to see how reliably you can manage 350ish with one of these cars, then see if that number is for you. Even then, there’s no such thing as reliability at that level if you’re driving it the way a 500whp car is intended, you can throw the best of the best top shelf top dollar everything at it and it’s still a 500 horsepower dsm not a stock 97 Civic, if you race it and beat on it there’s still a vast chance of user error that results in broken things and repairs.

Come on guys nobody answered his question about what block to buy. I think that's why he's mad ROFL

Here ya go bud. This is the block you need.

There have been a noticeable influx of newbies that all post the same thing. "How can I get X whp reliably" or basically wanting to be spoonfed. If you can't be bothered to do at least a little research, don't get mad when people don't spoon feed you. And if you can't do THAT work, you're never gonna do the work required to maintain 300HP much less 500 or more.

For that matter, 350awhp DSM on the street is WAY more than most people expect. And way more than necessary to beat 99% of other cars, even at the drag strip. In a world online where everyone runs 9's on a stock paper airfilter with no traction, just go to the drag strip ONE time and see the times that the super powerful non-drag cars ACTUALLY run. It'll shock you the first time you see a hellcat run 14's. Lol.

But yeah. I'll tell everyone what I always say, don't feed the trolls people. If it smells like BS, then it probably is.

T3/T4 turbo, NOS fogger system, Performance chrome intake manifold, 3 puck clutch, ebay tubular manifold, 4" hood exit exhaust, 3000cc injectors, big pump, short shifter (just chop factory one down with a saw, same thing), street slicks and an SAFC 2/pocket logger oughta do it. Don't worry about gauges, stock will do just fine as will the stock SMIC. The 4g63 is called bulletproof for a reason, plenty have pushed 500hp on stock internals at least once! Don't forget the manufacturer stickers, ARP Spoiler, colored wire loom, bodykit and polished valve cover! Those add at LEAST 100 free HP right there.

Looking at about $10,000, but it's not a bad way to spend it.

P.s.
All info sourced from D. Toretto and iamtheonion69.

Forgot to add: altezza tail lights, 30,000k HIDs, chrome vaging, RGB UNDERGLOW, aero fins and vortex generators, 19's and coilivers should slam that bi*** on its nuts, and do not forgot for safety purposes to have a Halotron extinguisher (I have 2 myself), and a roll cage with some nhra approved racing seats (there are some siiiick ones) and 5 point harness.

Last edited:
Do you run a Flux capacitor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back