The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

4g63 4g64 head swap power gains

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny719

Probationary Member
Jun 26, 2022
Colorado springs, Colorado
Hi everyone i just joined and i am womdering what the hp gain is for a 4g63 dohc on a 4g64 sohc wide block power gain is. Thanks for your time

Does anyone go through the work of putting just that head on?

My impression is that they do so in the process of putting a turbo on too and in that case it's not really the head that decides the HP gain.

^^^ plus increasing the engine displacement, but not much else..

I took the query as changing the head not swapping an engine. The head shouldn't make a big difference in the displacement. Did I misunderstand?

I've got a buddy that 4g63 dohc head swapped a 4g64 this summer, running a 16g at 11psi. He compared a 2g turbo piston to the 4g64 piston.....and the ring lands are identical. Say's it a heck for a bit more peppy then the 4g63 actually, very notice-able difference. He's been in the dsm game since the early 2000's and has swapped almost everything under the sun damn near, currently has a 4g63t swapped smart car that eats hellcats for breakfast and a few 80's colts 4g63 swapped as well.

I've got a buddy that 4g63 dohc head swapped a 4g64 this summer, running a 16g at 11psi. He compared a 2g turbo piston to the 4g64 piston.....and the ring lands are identical. Say's it a heck for a bit more peppy then the 4g63 actually, very notice-able difference. He's been in the dsm game since the early 2000's and has swapped almost everything under the sun damn near, currently has a 4g63t swapped smart car that eats hellcats for breakfast and a few 80's colts 4g63 swapped as well.
False.. The 4g64 sohc is super thin between the crown and the top ring. This is where the piston is weak. All of the turbo dsm pistons are more than double the thickness in this area. Maybe he had something different. Perhaps a 6 bolt version. Tell your boy to get a pic and post it up. Here is a pic of a 4g64 piston from a 2g sypder gs and a pic of it compared directly to a stock replacement 1g turbo piston. The last pic is a stock 2g turbo piston from a 99 gsx.

I wouldn't be telling people to dohc headswap and send it with a stock 4g64 bottom end.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the picture my buddy sent me, one on the left is out of a 4g64 i sold him from a 96 gs spyider one on the right is out of a 2g he had laying around.
So someone swapped turbo pistons in at one point then I guess. He does have another 4g64 kicking around so I guess I'll tell him to check that one out.
Didn't mean to be spreading misinformation tho, my bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back