The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

4G37 - Did I screw up replacing my timing belt? Oil Pump question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globerunner513

Probationary Member
Feb 26, 2017
Grand Forks, North_Dakota
I'm sorry this got long.
TL/DR: Did i break something by not aligning the timing marks on the oil pump sprocket? I didn't know they were there...

First, I drive a 1990 Colt DL wagon, with a replacement engine sourced from a JDM importer in Canada. I have a factory service manual (from Chrysler Motors). When my car refused to run after replacing the timing belt, I stumbled upon this thread which talked about the timing belt. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/93-1-8-help-head-gasket-and-stuff.393440/ Note the images which reference timing marks on the oil pump sprocket.

I have some worries that I might have screwed up during the replacement of my timing belt. Specifically in regards to the oil pump sprocket. I did not pay attention to any timing marks on the oil pump when installing the new timing belt.

Compare the service manual images in that thread to the manual I am working with here:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The manual doesn't represent the balance shaft, which I do have on my engine. I replaced it simply enough but thought it was a bit odd to not have it depicted. Note that it also does not show any timing marks on the oil pump sprocket. It was below freezing outside, and so in my (admittedly) haste to finish up the job I only referenced the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets. Everything was done by the book that I am using.

The car did start at first, ran terribly for a few seconds, then died. It only cranks now.

I thought perhaps it was just a tooth off, but now I wonder if I have bigger problems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back