The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Now LS swapped 3000GT, was 4Gswapped

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dammit I apologize if I am sidetracking this thread from this awesome car. I do have a few more things to say that are specifically relevant to this swap and the work you have done though.If you would like to move this axle / diff tech stuff to a different thread so as not to detract from your work I think it might be a good idea. I will start a new thread for that if you would like.

On to your work, first I am totally stealing that driver side mount design. I have the same offset issue.
photo-1-9-1-jpg.253150.jpg

Do you have any other detailed pics of that mount from when you were building it?

The next thing is very weird, I don't mean to rant about my car and plans but I stole the active ecs system off of a 91 galant gsr. I've already mounted the front struts on the colt and I was specifically considering the megan racing springs. I told you it was eerie how much stuff was sort of similar about your build. How much have you driven it on this setup so far? Is this what it was riding on with the 14b setup before? How do the ecs dampners handle the megan spring rate?

I love the front crossmember, the whole area looks so clean and precise. I have most of the parts to build mine as well, yet another little detail we have in common. I have started so much shit with my 3s friends suggesting this very setup, I am so glad someone is actually doing it. I can't wait to see how it performs with the hx40.

Familyman, the good news is if you snap front axles you've got a whole game plan here for a stronger front diff and stronger front axles using all stock parts aside from a modified carrier bearing bracket. Not that autos are hard on axles or awd cars are hard on front axles, or you are moving a full weight 3s, but still nice to know.

Btw considering you are obviously a clever and creative guy and interested in auto stuff do you have any input on my auto center diff idea? http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/awd-auto-center-diff-locker.489201/

Since I'm using 3S front and rear axles with an auto, I doubt I will ever snap an axle. To my knowledge, no one has broken a 3S front axle and only a handful have snapped rear at around 800-1000awtq with manual trans launches at the track.

I'll check out the center diff thread, but doubt I will have input. Not my forte:D

Dammit I apologize if I am sidetracking this thread from this awesome car. I do have a few more things to say that are specifically relevant to this swap and the work you have done though.If you would like to move this axle / diff tech stuff to a different thread so as not to detract from your work I think it might be a good idea. I will start a new thread for that if you would like.

On to your work, first I am totally stealing that driver side mount design. I have the same offset issue.

Do you have any other detailed pics of that mount from when you were building it?

The next thing is very weird, I don't mean to rant about my car and plans but I stole the active ecs system off of a 91 galant gsr. I've already mounted the front struts on the colt and I was specifically considering the megan racing springs. I told you it was eerie how much stuff was sort of similar about your build. How much have you driven it on this setup so far? Is this what it was riding on with the 14b setup before? How do the ecs dampners handle the megan spring rate?

I love the front crossmember, the whole area looks so clean and precise. I have most of the parts to build mine as well, yet another little detail we have in common. I have started so much sh** with my 3s friends suggesting this very setup, I am so glad someone is actually doing it. I can't wait to see how it performs with the hx40.

The discussion is good:D

Steal away on the design. I used what material I had available, but there are better ways to make it. I really don't have other pics. I just used an engine hoist and leveler to place it where I wanted it, to adjust angles to keep CV axles straight and correct positioning of tcase to driveshaft while trying to get the cam gears to clear the hood. What made positioning easier is that the 4g trans accepts a 3S mount so I just had to position and adjust from there which put the crank centerline in basically the right spot but allowed wiggle room for angle changes.

Not sure how the ECS is on the galant, but the megan springs work well with my car. They don't drop as much as most 3S's because my car is so much lighter. Tour mode is nice and soft, but too much body roll. Sport works well enough in the curves but we'll see how it does with launches at the track.

I drove approx 500-1000 miles this summer with the junk longblock and 14b. (stock crossmember). Many, many stalled up launches in front of my house for testing purposes:D. Each mile was at least 75% WOT;)

Mixed reviews from 3S owners, but that's okay. I built it because I wanted to and should serve my uses well.

Last edited:
familyMAN updated 4g auto swapped 3000GT

View updates to this DSM profile...

added Jay's racing alt relocation kit to bolt-on mods. I modified the kit to use the 3000GT alternator which is 110amp. Worked well this summer. 14-14.2 volts at any rpm that I tried with the 14b, idle to 6.8k. Not a bad idea for those relocating and want to keep it mitsu in the engine bay with more amperage than the DSM alternator.

Last edited:
Started it up:hellyeah:

Zy0FEsTf3zJChl7kaJZF146GUDUD8Y5Wh2xvLXLQ7w0=w740-h553-no.jpg

IMG_2696.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
It's somewhat the pics and somewhat my setup. Quite a bit of space between engine and firewall. Upfront my intercooler piping took up a lot of space. If I did the usual DSM routing down below, it would look more spacious. Width wise, it's a hair wider than a 6g72 so no space there.

Well this pretty much settles the on-going argument between me and a former 3S purist friend that the 6G72TT is exactly the same width and length as a 4G63T. Dude still won't admit he's wrong publicly but deep down he'll know. :p

It's not "exactly". Length, (crank end to end) is about .5" longer on the 4g than 6g (can't remember exactly now; measured it when I was putting it together originally). Width, obviously the 6g is wider with a V and two heads.

I love the first pic. I drove my talon around for about 3 months with no bumper or crash bar without being pulled over, I suppose a front mount provides some kind of impact absorption right? How's it running with the new setup? Driving - tuning it yet?

Trans mount is stock 3000. Rear is custom. Front I built a chromoly crossmember mount.

To answer early questions. I had some hiccups but it's running well. Been having some fun street tuning. Currently 29 psi. Restalled converter is working better than I expected with the big cams.

How are you liking the HX40/2.4 combo? How's the spool characteristics so far? I know numbers will be skewed because of the restall converter, but just in general terms...kind of laggy? Spool pretty decently?

Love it. A lot more fun than the 14b! I wouldn't consider it laggy, at all. 2.4, 10:1, kelford 280/288, T3 HX40, stock IM, e85. Great combo IMO. I was afraid the cams were going to ruin the stall, but they work well with the big engine and it gets up on the converter for a launch very well. If I sit on the 2 step a little, I can build as much boost as I want and accidentally have hit 29psi for a launch. oops

Hits 30psi by 6kish in 1st with a roll on. 5k in 3rd. In 3rd, converter doesn't couple until it hits full boost so a roll on from 3k it gets to 5k very fast. You auto guys will understand:D (Probably sounds laggy to a manual hx40 car, but it's not an apples to apples in any way)

Restalled stock converter will also do 135 (AEM log) at 8500rpm with 25.6" street tire. Not bad.

I would recommend my combo to any street driven DSM. Maybe not the 4" side exhaust for a daily driver:D

Last edited:
Not enough color so here are more pics...
zcY9t0nrwou2xcsCyDGCJOzABJ5JC7Jp1cxJ0vowMnU=w927-h695-no.jpg

FullSizeRender%2B%284%29.jpg

FullSizeRender%2B%283%29.jpg

This vid was to put a little fear into a 3000GT friend with twin 16gs (Nomiezvr4;))...

Last edited:
Love it. A lot more fun than the 14b! I wouldn't consider it laggy, at all. 2.4, 10:1, kelford 280/288, T3 HX40, stock IM, e85. Great combo IMO. I was afraid the cams were going to ruin the stall, but they work well with the big engine and it gets up on the converter for a launch very well. If I sit on the 2 step a little, I can build as much boost as I want and accidentally have hit 29psi for a launch. oops

Hits 30psi by 6kish in 1st with a roll on. 5k in 3rd. In 3rd, converter doesn't couple until it hits full boost so a roll on from 3k it gets to 5k very fast. You auto guys will understand:D (Probably sounds laggy to a manual hx40 car, but it's not an apples to apples in any way)

Restalled stock converter will also do 135 (AEM log) at 8500rpm with 25.6" street tire. Not bad.

I would recommend my combo to any street driven DSM. Maybe not the 4" side exhaust for a daily driver:D

That's exactly what I wanted to know. That's freakin' awesome. About the most I'm looking for trap speed on this car would be 135 ish(that's 145-/+ on a 5-speed), and the street manners/numbers is very much what I'm looking for as well. I believe I may go with that setup. If it's too laggy I can always just go stock converter and 14cm twin-scroll. ;)

Joining the fun at the Shootout and planning on running Max Effort, so the lazy manual dsm steering rack isn't going to cut it for autocross. Making room for PS pump for a 3000 power rack which required clocking the compressor housing and re-routing the hot side piping including chopping up the FMIC inlet.

Piping had to go through here....
J7K818D21SdJ5HfM20HZFJ6zODx7_MbDUUpnfaMp1Os=w1047-h785-no.jpg

with something like this...
pw6iWcSSzuDYRIomLFpYvu0bZs_na_LtswJ5uwShPgY=w589-h785-no.jpg

Made a bit of a mess....
Q0w8-3qWUsY-VIqpeXIM_OIxrY4FxBGwNlOlXsixwWg=w971-h785-no.jpg

Attachments

• J7K818D21SdJ5HfM20HZFJ6zODx7_MbDUUpnfaMp1Os=w236-h178-no.jpg
    J7K818D21SdJ5HfM20HZFJ6zODx7_MbDUUpnfaMp1Os=w236-h178-no.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back