The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

460 block with dsm ecu

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM's 4 life

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2011
Buffalo, New_York
I just sold my 2g talon and I want to start a new build. I have a clean 1g dsm with a blown first gear and leaks oil. I found some guy locally selling a ford 460 big block v8 I think he said 6.8L. I want to turbocharge this block with a hx35 and stick with fuel injection if possible. Now before everyone gets up in arms worrying if its going to fit or not that is not what I am trying to figure out. I Need a program where I can control the injectors. seeing how I have an eprom ecu and a harness in my 1g Could I modify the harness to fit the injectors. I know people run 8 injectors in ecm link. what are your thoughts on the best way to go about this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your not going to do it with dsmlink. You'll need an ostrich, and a bit of computer science training. I think it can be done. Also the HX35 is way to small for that behemoth. Think HX52. or bigger.

460 is a 7.5l. An hx35 on each bank might be ok. And yes people run 8 injectors, but 2 pulse simultaneously. You would have to use at the very least a 87-90 f-150 ecu, preferably an f-350 ecu running a 460.

And its not if you can make it fit, its getting the suspension to handle that much weight, and a counterweight in the rear to help even out the weight distribution

I just sold my 2g talon and I want to start a new build. I have a clean 1g dsm with a blown first gear and leaks oil. I found some guy locally selling a ford 460 big block v8 I think he said 6.8L. I want to turbocharge this block with a hx35 and stick with fuel injection if possible. Now before everyone gets up in arms worrying if its going to fit or not that is not what I am trying to figure out. I Need a program where I can control the injectors. seeing how I have an eprom ecu and a harness in my 1g Could I modify the harness to fit the injectors. I know people run 8 injectors in ecm link. what are your thoughts on the best way to go about this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You obviously haven't looked into it very much...

People that run 8 injectors in ECMLink are using an injector driver and piggybacking the firing signal from the original 4 injectors.... ....this isn't going to work when you need 8 different fuel injection signals since you're running 8 cylinders..

Not to mention you'll have no way to control ignition to 8 spark plugs? .. you obviously haven't thought this out haha..

People have successfully used ECMLink on other 4 cylinder applications...Its not going to be very feasible to run in other configurations...

Maybe you should get 2 copies of ECMLink and setup 2 ecus and control both banks independently ;-) ;-) :p (This is a joke btw)

I appreciate the thoughtful insite. If your posts are simply to bash please don't post.

What tuning possibilities are offered with f350 ecu's what year should I be looking for?

Dacowgod:
"Not to mention you'll have no way to control ignition to 8 spark plugs? .. you obviously haven't thought this out haha.."

I would let the dastributor do its thing With the plugs. I'm simply looking for a program to acuratly change my injector pluse/cycle rate.

Im not too sure on that. Itd be early 90's. As for tuning, the mustang guys have been boosting smf engines for years. Technically all you need is a ford f series ecu using the same firing order as the engine you want, and a tuning solution to account for extra airflow. Google mustang tuners and im sure you will get a host of possibilities. It goes without saying that youll need the wiring harness as well.

Imho, if youre serious about a v8 engine swap, forget the 460, and pick up a early 90s stang or 150 donor, and use everything out of it. Not quite as heavy, and still alot of aftermarket support for the old 5.0s

You obviously haven't looked into it very much...

People that run 8 injectors in ECMLink are using an injector driver and piggybacking the firing signal from the original 4 injectors.... ....this isn't going to work when you need 8 different fuel injection signals since you're running 8 cylinders..

Not to mention you'll have no way to control ignition to 8 spark plugs? .. you obviously haven't thought this out haha..

People have successfully used ECMLink on other 4 cylinder applications...Its not going to be very feasible to run in other configurations...

Maybe you should get 2 copies of ECMLink and setup 2 ecus and control both banks independently ;-) ;-) :p (This is a joke btw)

It's very very doable. You'd have to run batch fire, and put a nand gate on the coil outputs, but it's not that big of a deal. have to scale the RPM indexed by half or somthing. I know I could do it.

Actually 2 ecu's would work very well. It's been done plenty of times.
1999 Ford Mustang GT - The Phantom - Featured Vehicle - Hot Rod Magazine
2 eeciv's running a v10. Don't see why anyone couldn't do this with a dsmecu.

DSM 4 lyfe, if you wanted to use a ford ECU, youd need a V8 EECIV, and a moats quarterhorse. check em out at www.moates.net

DSM 4 lyfe, if you wanted to use a ford ECU, youd need a V8 EECIV, and a moats quarterhorse. check em out at Welcome to www.moates.net! : Moates.Net

Running megasquirt2 would also be a very feasible option. I know a few people running them on turbo cars (280z turbos and DSMs) there is even a 280z here in Las Vegas with a SBC running a megasquirt. A MS3 would be better for boosted but it is a little more pricy.

All that does is makes the megasquirt an easier more plug and play install for Ford cars that are already fuel injected. You would still need the megasquirt on top of that. If you are doing a custom install then I wouldn’t bother with the adaptor board.

MegaSquirt-II Engine Management System w/PCB3 - Assembled Unit DIYAutoTune.com

Or if you have some soldering skills you can get it a little cheaper.

MegaSquirt-II Programmable EFI System PCB3.0 - Kit w/ BLACK CASE DIYAutoTune.com

megasquirt is gonna be your best bet with this as well as maybe an MSD crank trigger setup for the ignition, that motor could easily run twin MPT70's you could get a carb intake and drill out the bosses for the injecrtors, run an elbow with a 102mm TB and that could work.

megasquirt is gonna be your best bet with this as well as maybe an MSD crank trigger setup for the ignition, that motor could easily run twin MPT70's

Yeah, I definitely think mega-squirt is my best bet. I have never really heard much about it until now. I watched a video online and some guy has his LS1 block firing injectors in a dual bank setup. One side all at once then the other side all at one. He claims its running fine, But when you say MSD crank trigger setup are you referring to something different?

I have never heard of master power turbos I am looking for a fast spooling turbo why would the hx35/hx40 be a bad choice?

hes just saying it could run those 70's, not that you couldn't run holsets. not sure what he means by using the crank trigger, unless hes talking coil packs instead of a distributor

hes just saying it could run those 70's, not that you couldn't run holsets. not sure what he means by using the crank trigger, unless hes talking coil packs instead of a distributor

I was looking into getting the basic setup mega squirt 1 v2.2
I think that only has fuel injector control and not firing order?
I think the v3 version has 8 injector control and fireing order

No need for a crank trigger with a carb, a MSD 6al will wire right into the Ford thick film ignition dizzy.

The code has to be cracked to run the Quarterhorse with a Ford EEC IV ECU. One from a mustang may be a better route to go. The codes have been cracked for those.

But the MS would be the best bet.

Do you have any idea how much off the line torque that monster will make? I see the first hard launch in a DSM ending with a car body with a cracked windshield, and doors that do not open and close right!

That happens quite often in the Fox Mustangs if they are not caged with a big block or at a min have sub frame connectors installed with a mild built 460.

I was looking into getting the basic setup mega squirt 1 v2.2
I think that only has fuel injector control and not firing order?
I think the v3 version has 8 injector control and fireing order

All megasquirts are capable of running both fuel and spark. Megasquirt2 has a better resolution (bigger timing and fuel maps) than MS1. MS3 would be the best of the best with the biggest resolution and better fuel control than the other too but for your application any of the three will work. And you can always upgrade later. But let me make a sugstion..... Get the 3.0 board. It is much better then the 2.2. And if you decide to get an MS3 later on down the road I don't think the 2.2 board supports MS3.

As for crank trigger. All that means is that you need to add a toothed wheel to the crank and a pickup to send a signal to the ECU, MS, or MSD ignition so that they all know where the engine is on its rotation. They uses it to figure out when to fire the injectors and ignition.

BTW, you think you will get that big monstrosity to fit into the front of a DSM? hat is defiantly something i would like to see.

MSD crank trigger would be an option if you wanted to get it running with a carb. I have a friend that runs an MSD 6AL and a holly carb on his 67 mustang. Really nice setup.

Well if I decided to run a carb I wouldn't need any sort of tuning program I could simply let it do its thing.

now for my setup:
460 block fuel injected
mega-squirt1 v 2.2
mega-squirt harness
dual hx 35 turbo's off there own manifold 8lbs?

I think I am going to keep the block stock for the most part I want to swap out the cams since this engine come from a 94 f250(Can anyone confirm that this is correct by the pictures?) and is made for towing not really meant for a light car. only has 45k miles to btw

honestly man coming from a guy who has built mustangs, vettes and camaros for most of my automotive career, if your looking to go v8 go with an lsx platform engine. a 5.3l chevy engine can be had for 300 bucks complete and a turbo kit can be put together for 1500 and you can see about 600 wheel without touching the internals and it will rev 7000, also the factory wiring harness is stand alone in stock form so thats also simple since most junkyards include the harness. those big block fords just dont perform in my opinion and ive had a few of them so im talking from expierience. also the small block is 550lbs fully dressed im willing to bet the monster is 850+ with accesories

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43D1n5KVkIY]Turbo 5.3L Mustang Dyno Pull - YouTube[/ame]

What are the casting numbers on the head and block. Ill chase them down for you.

But if it is a '94 you have the small runner intake, they just do not make power.

Of the stock heads, the C9 castings or the preferred D0VE heads.

What are the casting numbers on the head and block. Ill chase them down for you.

But if it is a '94 you have the small runner intake, they just do not make power.

Of the stock heads, the C9 castings or the preferred D0VE heads.

I took a few pictures this number was on the head just underneath the valve cover on the outside. Don't really have other numbers
E7TE-60808D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back