The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420a Timing belt tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewmHolland

Proven Member
Apr 11, 2022
franklin, Tennessee
Im currently rebuilding my 420a motor from the bottom up (I have to replace main bearings and possibly resurface the crank)
Im about to pull the timing belt off but there's 2 problems 1- i cant get the stupid timing cover off without breaking it and 2 - I really just need tips for timing the motor so that I don't mess it up when I put everything back together later on

The 420a timing cover isn't split at the head and the block. So that means you have to pull the front timing cover off, pull all the timing components off, and then pull the rear timing cover off. I suggest when you get the timing covers off you cut them at the block and the head. This would essentially give you an upper and lower cover. And would allow you to pull the head without removing all the timing components just to pull the rear timing cover. I cut my timing covers on my 420a, and I only run the lower covers now too.

Just make sure all your timing marks are lined up before you remove any of the timing components as well. Hope this helps

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back