The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a strange engine troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmcrzy

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2009
Trenton, Ohio
Hey guys I'm hoping some one here can help me out! I'm having some weird issues with my rebuilt 420a. I got the engine from a rebuilder (name being with held) and the first engine ran for 4 miles. Got it covered through their warrenty and the second engine went for 2000 miles before it spun pretty much every bearing in the bottom end. So I descided to rebuild it myself this time. Since some parts only had 2000 miles on them I reused them but here is a list of what is new:

Cranck shaft
Eagle rods
Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons
King main and rod bearings
Fel-pro mls head gasket
Oem head bolts
PT style lifters

After putting the engine in and starting it all it did was blow white smoke out the tail pipe and sputter but stay alive. It had power and I drove it for 10 miles trying to clear it up thinking it was just oil from the rebuild. I took it to my mechanic because there is a loud click in the head (lifter tick??) and it won't stop smoking.

So today we (my mechanic and I) did a leak down and compression test. Both had good results for a healthy engine. the compression was 130 134 140 135 but keep in mind this motor really isnt even out of break in period yet.

Here are the problems:
1) Loud ticking in the head
2) It is building pressure in the bottom end (like the rings are bad)
3) Oil is pooling up on the pistons

The compression test was donw with oil pooled on the pistons and with the pistons cleared off (some hoe the oil went away) and the compression was still good.

Any help is greatly appriciated since my mechanic and I are both puzzled. I am pulling the engine tomorrow to tear it back down but I'm here looking for any help of ideas.

Thank alot guys!!

Is the smoke white or blue? White smoke is water. Blue is oil. Sometimes its hard to tell... Any water in the oil or oil in the water? Check the oil level too! I know this may seem simple, but overfilling can cause smoking as well.

Well we tore down the engine yesterday and it was that the pistons were too small for the bore so the oil rings weren't really doin a whole lot. That also solved the strange noise because the pistons were slapping the head on the way up.

I feel like a complete idiot of course but we all make mistakes right? Atleast all I need is new pistons rod bearings head bolts and head gasket... Coulda been worse...

Yea I will jus made a stupid mistake everything else was perfect... Besides the pistons slapping the head haha oh well honest mistake...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back