The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a rs build and question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordonbryant777

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 16, 2012
Statesboro, Georgia
I just got the car a few months ago and all ive done so far is maintenence, did some gutting (sound proofing, carpet insulation, all panels from the front seats back, removed spare tire and tools, rear seats, and rear seatbelt system) and installed a short ram intake. I plan on doing all the N/T mods in the near future. The previous owner had replaced the stock muffler with a 3a racing muffler, it sounds great, very low noted throaty growl, not raspy at all, but its so loud that it gets annoying because its my DD so i have to hear it daily. So my question is: what would it sound like if i just cut the muffler off and left it that way for the time being? i plan on getting the SRS catback pretty soon so i wouldnt be "muffler-less" for very long...thanks for any comments/tips.

the muffler is there to "muffle" the exhaust noise. it quiets it down a bit. if you cut off the muffler i guarantee you'll wish you'd have left it. it'll sound like your driving a dirtbike every and annoy you much more than it does now.

would sounds like dog shit. Leave the muffler till you get your catback imo

so my next progression is that i have started building a custom trunk. i will post pics as soon as its done. also, i added back everything i gutted out. it wasnt enough weight reduction to even matter and plus its much more comfortable and nice inside the car with the interior in.

also adding back the interior quieted down the loudness of my exhaust inside the car so the loudness is no longer a problem as i talked about it the previous posts.

i Have a 99 eclipse rs where my muffler has broke off due to my girlfriend backing into a curb. i can tell you it sounds like shit i mean after a few months you get used to it but damn. its loud and annoying some people think it sounds nice.... i on the other hand hate it about to put the stock back on just havent got around to it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back