The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 420a problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It_breaks_my_bank

Probationary Member
Feb 12, 2017
Englewood, Colorado
I'm new to this forum site and my current daily is a 99 gs that's the O.Z edition. The thing I cannot find for my car is a decent short throw for it. Any one know where to find one?

Any 2g short throw shifter will work. They are not engine specific.

On that note there's not a ton left outside of eBay. Check out extremepsi or stm tuning.

B&M used to make one for our cars, but good luck scoring even a used one. They rarely pop up and when they do they go fast!! I was actually able to get one and I love it!

The Megan racing short throw shifter is a replica of the B&M version.

Alright ill look into that. Right now I'm currently trying to figure out why my dash lights just went off. All the lights in my car work except for dash and center console.

Stereo turns on, door lights turn on but nothing else. My stereo works and everything. I've checked all my fuses and such. Still nothing, and I work at night so I gotta get this fixed today.

I found the thread about this same problem but jumpering the ground and black and yellow wires didn't work. The dimmer* switch isn't getting power. I have checked for faulty grounds, bare wires, etc.

But to no avail I can not get my dash lights to work. Any one have any ideas?

theres like 3-4 plugs behind your radio, one could simply be loose. happened to me before just pushed it back in

I'm new to this forum site and my current daily is a 99 gs that's the O.Z edition. The thing I cannot find for my car is a decent short throw for it. Any one know where to find one?
Yeah bro eBay is gonna be your best bet for finding a short throw.. I bought one on eBay around 4 years ago and I'm still using it to this day and love it!

I got that problem fixed, but now I have a new one. And the problem was two wires were shorting and kept popping the fuse.
My new problem is my transmission is trying to go out and I can't figure out what transmission is in my car....

Its a manual transmission, all I know is I need a jig if I want to rebuild it myself. And that's a dealership only item.

Oh I see. You are trying to rebuild it.

I got a rebuild video off a guy on neons.org. You don't need a jig, but you do need some rather big presses to press off some of the gears. You will find more nvt350 info over on that forum.

https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=402396

Or here are some cars that share the same manual trans. Just know the neons with a clutch cable will need the bell housing swapped to use the eclipse hydraulic clutch.

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=NV-T350_and_Variants_information

My transmission says N310AC on it but that's all I can find out about it. I only have the one stamp on it. Ill check that video out and the thread.

So I went to the Mitsubishi dealership and had them tell me what transmission I have, the f5mc/f5mc1 in my car. Can't find shit for this transmission.

That's their code or part number for it that goes on the Vin plate. It means nothing when trying to order parts.

Your transmission is a nv-t350.

What was wrong with your trans? I'm in the middle of putting mine back together. You will need a press to get it apart. I picked up a used HF 20 ton press for cheap on craigslist that works fine

What was wrong with your trans? I'm in the middle of putting mine back together. You will need a press to get it apart. I picked up a used HF 20 ton press for cheap on craigslist that works fine

Glad to know a 20ton will take care of it. Unfortunately right now I don't no have the room for one.

Where did you end up getting replacement parts?

It depends on what you need. I had 4th gear lock up on the input shaft so i had to get a junk yard trans for new gears and an input shaft. The main bearings are easy to source, I had some trouble finding the needle bearings under the gears, but found them at allstategear.com. this was the only site that I was able to find the bearings for 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd, 4th, and 5th are still available from the dealer. 3rd, 4th, and 5th fiber ride synchros are still available but it doesn't look like there are anymore synchros for 1st and 2nd unless you buy them used.

Alternatively you can use aftermarket brass synchros if you really need some, they work fine but rattle when cold.

I'm having alignment problems and it occasionally kicks me out of first and second gear. Also have a horrendous whining in reverse. It sounds like a dog box when I reverse.

Reverse is a straight cut gear, they all whine to some extent.

For the gears popping out, check your shifter bushings first, if they are worn out you may not be engaging the gear fully and that could be why it is popping out.

I need to replace those I just need money first. So after I do my clutch and shifter bushings it should be good after that then hopefully. I keep going through pcv valves like there candy for my car. And are always full of oil. I can't figure out why that is. I can't seem to find anything on it. I have searched the interwebs and haven't found a solid answer on it.

Have you done a compression or leak down test?

As for shifter bushings at the trans... have an old skateboard? Or a buddy that has one? Those bearings work perfectly! Been tuning mine for 8 years with zero issues.

I've done a compression test, it was literally perfect across the board. And I might some where or my buddy will definitely have some haha he just broke his skate board the other day.

Ok new proble, I replaced my pcv valve, it fixed a few things, but now it shows no oil but have almost put another 4 1/5 quarts in it.... It still reads no oil its running fine no dry start or knocking. Its not leaking out of anything. I'm completely befuddled by this. It has to be some where it can't not be there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back