The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a oil pan leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'RS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Germansville, Pennsylvania
ok it seems as if my oil pan is leaking from the oil return line i welded a steel bushing in it and put water in it to see if it would leak before i put it back on and it didn't but now when in WOT the exhaust blows out a lot of blue smoke and when i get home and look under the car there's oil dripping off the bottom of the pan i thought it was the return line so I sealed the threads with Teflon tape and it still looks like its leaking from that spot so any input or advice would be great

If at WOT its blowing blue smoke that doesnt sound like your return line is leaking. it sounds like your turbo is going bad. Check for shaft play, and also clean everything off with some brake cleaner and then see where the oil is coming from. Good luck.
-Andy

thanks man i checked there's is very little shaft play not even a 1/4 of a centimeter but when i took off the down pipe there appeared to be some kind of black tar looking stuff stuck on the exhaust side i have no idea what it is

do you think im burning oil because my oil return line is a -6an and its not draining fast enough? well i got a -8an from jegs im just waiting for it to get here then im going to plug my oil return line and drill a hole a little higher up hopefully it should drain faster.

That might help. as far as the "tar" thats just a rich gas mixture no need to worry there, thats not causing the blue smoke. Try to return line and see what that does for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back