The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 420A Megasquirt COP setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a tutorial of what you need to set up a Coil on Plug setup for the 420a using Audi coils. I had this info in my build thread but thought I would post it here as well. As far as I can tell from google searching this is the first 420a COP setup using Audi coils. This is very simple once you know what you need.

First thing I want to note is that this is for people using Megasquirt. This is not meant for the stock ECU. Also this is how I did it using the MS3 with the MS3X expansion card. this is by far the easiest method but you can do this on the MS1 and MS2 if you build extra spark outputs, cam input ect. The MS3x has all this already so it just makes for a more error free set up.

now on to the good stuff!

1) To do this set up you will need a 2.4L valve cover. The 2.4L SRT4 and PT Cruiser valve covers wont fit. Ones off the cloud cars will (cirrus, Stratus). Just look at the bolt pattern on the valve cover and match it up to the stock pattern.

2) Next you will need the Audi coils and pig tails. The part number for the coils is 06E-905-115. There are tons of revisions out there. From my searching I have found that the Audi R8 coils are the best and most reliable. Best part is they are only $20 a piece! Best place to find OEM ones is on HS Tuning:
http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3606

3) For pigtails you can find them on Ebay and rockauto. I don't have an OEM part number for that.

4) Lastly using Audi coils you will most likely need a spark 'booster' to run them. You can get it off James on msextra:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=44554
to determine if you need one measure the resistance between Pins 2 and 3.

To run the MS3x in sequential COP mode you will need a cam input and the tooth logger should show the same as the image below. I have aftermarket cams and did not have to degree the magnet at all. others on the neon forums have reported needing to degree the magnet a touch.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

next you will need to set up the ignition settings. I use tunerstudio and highly recommend it.

Next you will need to wire up the Audi coils. Below is the pin out for the coils. For the power I used the stock ignition main power. I grounded the coils where I have the rest of my MS grounds and have not had any issues. Make sure you wire the coils in correct firing order (same as the fuel injectors) so:
Cyl 1 - MS3x Spark A
Cyl 2 - MS3x Spark D
Cyl 3 - MS3x Spark B
Cyl 4 - MS3x Spark C

If you are using a spark booster like I did it just get wired in series so it will go:

MS3x outputs --> Spark booster --> the coils.

the spark booster uses a +12 volt or +5 volt power. I tapped into the main spark +12v and grounded it with the coil grounds.

If you have any questions or something is unclear please PM me and I will gladly answer and update this how to.

Here are the installed pics:

[DOUBLEPOST=1410342758][/DOUBLEPOST]One thing I forgot to note. You will need to trim the connector on cyl 3. Use a dremmel or similar rotary tool. Just cut the sides in until it clears. Then I used some jb weld to seal it up again.

Last edited:
One note: Don't ground the COP grounds with the MS grounds. I was getting noise into the MS. I switched the COP grounds to the main engine ground and problem solved.

I had my valve cover off yesterday just to inspect a few things. I noticed one of the cam lobes for cylinder 3 self clearanced the baffle on the 2.4l valve cover.

See the pics below for which cam lobe along with how I trimmed the baffle. It did leave scrape marks on my cam lobe but they don't catch my finger nail.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back