The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A High Mileage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roll hard 95

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2002
denver_co
how many miles is too many on a 420A when kept in good shape and serviced regularly? I have 115,000 on mine and its a 95' with new ecu, coil pack, plugs & wires, fuel pump and fuel filter. I dont know the longevity of these motors and im just curious of the miles everyone has with what years, and what to expect from mine. Im asking because it seems like i have higher mileage than some other dsm's i know.

it all depends on who owned the car and how they drove it, and if they kept up with the maintence on it. if you keep up with the recomended servicing's and don't dog the @#$% out of the car everywhere you go then 115,000 isn't that bad. i have seen dsm's with 150,000 that ran like they only had 50 or 60,000 on them, then again i have seen some with 60,000 that ran like they had 200,000 miles. it all depends on how you treat your baby, be good to her and she'll do the same in return. i saw all kinds of eclipses when i was trying to find mine, and it was amazing seeing how differently they all performed. when i got my 98 GS in july i knew i was getting a good deal. it had 50,000 and was immaculate inside and out. no vibrating, no engine noise, none of that stuff. the paint job was perfect, leather, power everything. and for $8,000 i wasn't about to keep on looking while somebody else got it. sorry to get off track there, just keep up with the maintenance. you can go to edmunds.com, they have all the scheduled maintence listed for different miles and also you can find out if there are any recalls on the car, which is a good thing to know. nothing like having a mitsubishi shop fixing your car for free!

yeah thats pretty much the gist huh? thanks for the input. I havent seen tons of 420's with high miles so just wondering on engine wear, ect..., also curious on other engine mileage for 95's?

dont worry about milage man!
Im runing 140,000 miles and my baby still runs like a champ
the only thing ive ever changed is the timing belt.
and the oil. GO ALL SYNTH!!!

How often do you change your oil man? I change mine every 2000 because i driver her hard, i plan on doing it even more often with i get a turbo kit. What kind of oil you running? my dad, 25+yr mechanic swears by valvoline

My dads a mech too. and i have always used castrol synth.
just a word of caution though, be very choosy on your oil thickness depending on season. ask your dad he could be of some use on that part.
I run my car hard too but not all the time... I want my car to last.
I recommend runing it more like a baby for a bit. just till you get ur turbo. <-- same route im going.
that way your baby will run like a champ and wont have to go though some MAD engine work. But remeber before you put a turbo in your engine have it REBUILT. Our cars are high milage which mean loose bolts and dirty parts. Having it rebuilt will make it run like new and run 4x better than it ever has. Take my word on that. I drove a twin turbo stealth and it had high milage so we had the engine rebuilt now it runs as if it only had 50k miles I LOVE CARS!!@!@!@!@!

I am having a hard time saving the money for a turbo kit let alone the parts to re-build my engine.. i planned on running low boost until i had the money and then rebuilding everything so i could up the boost, what do ya think?

I am having a hard time saving the money for a turbo kit let alone the parts to re-build my engine.. i planned on running low boost until i had the money and then rebuilding everything so i could up the boost, what do ya think?
is your dad cool with you getting a turbo? because mine isn't, LOL:thumb:

ya my dads kinda stubburn about me spending money on my car. He just bought a new NISSIAN 350 Z ..... good thing im his son ill be able to cruise around in it... well im gonna stock up my car and race him .. hehehe

it's kinda hard to say what "high mileage" is on an engine model this new becuase they've only been around 7 going on 8 years in dsms. The technology and designs it is based off of, and from what i've heard about it's construction i don't think 115k is anything to worry about especially if it's been taken care of. These engines are just starting to get into their lifespan where their long-term realiability can be measured. I would think however that if the engine and car was properly maintained that 200k wouldn't be unreasonable to start being labeled as "high mileage."

Originally posted by Bd1000Eclipse
How often do you change your oil man? I change mine every 2000 because i driver her hard, i plan on doing it even more often with i get a turbo kit. What kind of oil you running? my dad, 25+yr mechanic swears by valvoline

i use mobil 1 synthetic(10w30) and it seems to be much better on the engine than the other brands i have used, engine runs alot smoother. i read on another post that castrol syntec isn't fully synthetic and castrol is actuall being sued by mobil for advertising that it is. i don't know if it is true or not, just stating what i read. and i change my oil every 2000 miles even though it only has 60k on it, can't do any harm changing it 1000 miles early.

well glad to hear that 115k isnt terrible. Looks like everyone here has there preference for oil but i think the main point is to just make sure ist changed regularly. Have you guys gotten price quotes on engine rebuilds yet?
i was seriously considering doing the same in spring after saving all winter, but i had toughts of just putting in a 4g63 too. Not sure which is more efficient, cheap, and reliable. Lemme know what ya guys come up with and think

well considering the post thread above about gs-t's, never mind the rambling giberish i posted above. Still wondering about motor rebuild prices, i know its been posted before but like i said ima dummy.....forgot.

One thing I've always been told is that no matter what oil is used you should always replace it with the same brand. The reasoning is that the seals get used to the additives and useing a different type could cause leaks to develope. My old truck ('76) always had the same kind of oil in it since its first change, It didn't smoke and only had one small leak at the valve cover. My 1G has had whatever oil the previous owner had on hand. There was half a bottle of quacker state in the back, a bunch of reciepts from a valveoline instant oil place in the console, and my grandpa had said he had added some Mobile one before I got it. This thing has too many oil leaks to count and runs a lot rougher than I feel it should. Sorta an apples to oranges comparison but I've heard it from my dad, highschool auto shop teacher and grandpa so there must be a little bit of truth to it.

87,960 on mine...I've had some problems, but I just bought it with 77,xxx on it in March. I've put about $2,700 into it just to get it running right. It still gives me crap though.

Just like a woman, no matter what you do for a car, it's never satisfied. Heh. Just kidding.

420a's a good engine.. unless it's violently vibrating, or burning oil, i'm sure you can just do a quick comp. test and see if your rings/pistons are stilll good... you'l lbe fine for years to come.

i have 152k and no engine in my car due to a spun rod bearings, the rings wore down pressureized the crank case and shot all the oil out the vent tube and starved the bottom end for oil.....

changing your oil at 2k miles is not to smart if your running synthetic, it should be good for about 5k

granted it not bad your jsut loosing money, higher price of synthetic is made for smoother and longer running of the oil because it is designed for it,

it wont hurt anything but your pocket book, not even mineral based oil(crude) will break down at 3k miles so why change superior synthetic at 1000miles less?????

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back