The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420a header/exhaust replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99GS4G63Swap

Probationary Member
Jun 16, 2021
Seattle, Washington
Looking a solid exhaust set up for a n/a stock 420a. Exhaust is not in good shape, and will need more than a cat back replacement. I figured I might as well add headers since I’m replacing the exhaust. I was thinking of:

dc sports 4-2-1 headers,
magnaflow cat,
(resonator?),
and magnaflow muffler w tip (2.25).

Want something relatively quiet but that sounds nice. Can anyone please advise if they would change this set up, and how so. Looking for input.

Headers
Magnaflow cat options
(Resonator?)
Muffler/exhaust tips

Want something relatively quiet but that sounds nice.
what sounds nice to you may not sound nice to others. Its a person preference so its best to try to find some videos of 420a exhausts, watch them and decide what you like.

personally if its relatively quiet (or more like if it isn't loud) it doesn't sound nice to me.

that silencer is how you enable stealth mode.
when your car is loud, all your homies know your rolling up when your a block away (maybe 1/2 a block if you have big ass blocks)
but with the silencer, they'll never hear you coming.
back in the day it was also useful if picking up a girl that was sneaking out, you could park 2 houses down instead of 2 blocks away.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The DC headers are your best option, they come already ceramic coated, and the 4-2-1 is basically the long tube design for the 420a.

On a budget you'd want the basic 4-1 headers that 50 "companies" in China make and sell on Ebay for ridiculously low prices (although lately prices have went up due to low supply)

A test pipe will be the loudest of all options and also flow the best. That's not to say your car will be loud simply from having a test pipe. But it will be louder than if you didn't have one.

I personally prefer buying a cat back system over cutting up my stock exhaust system. They always flow better for better gains and usually are made of some variant of stainless steel so they should last longer.

It nearly all does come down to preference though. Sound vs power & price vs quality

it used to be, if you didn't have an Airmass ThunderMuff catback, you weren't cool.

The DC headers are your best option, they come already ceramic coated, and the 4-2-1 is basically the long tube design for the 420a.

On a budget you'd want the basic 4-1 headers that 50 "companies" in China make and sell on Ebay for ridiculously low prices (although lately prices have went up due to low supply)

A test pipe will be the loudest of all options and also flow the best. That's not to say your car will be loud simply from having a test pipe. But it will be louder than if you didn't have one.

I personally prefer buying a cat back system over cutting up my stock exhaust system. They always flow better for better gains and usually are made of some variant of stainless steel so they should last longer.

It nearly all does come down to preference though. Sound vs power & price vs quality
Really just looking for quality. Not gonna get much power if any out of a 420 bone stock, nor does building it gonna net me any serious gains. If I was gonna build something I’d look around for a gsx.

catback won’t fix it, so I figured I’ll just replace the whole deal with something nice.

What do you mean when you say "catback won't fix it"? Like the cat is damaged and the manifold? Then why wouldn't headers, test pipe & a catback fix it? I don't really see how cutting and welding components to your stock exhaust system will fix the problem yet fully replacing it won't.

Really just looking for quality. Not gonna get much power if any out of a 420 bone stock, nor does building it gonna net me any serious gains. If I was gonna build something I’d look around for a gsx.

catback won’t fix it, so I figured I’ll just replace the whole deal with something nice.
Also, want a nice sound while I’m going for quality. Want something that sounds nice, but not something loud. I’ve done loud exhaust before and i honestly prefer a quiet but nice sound for many reasons. Don’t want to diminish power, just something that’s quality and good sound and runs well.

What do you mean when you say "catback won't fix it"? Like the cat is damaged and the manifold? Then why wouldn't headers, test pipe & a catback fix it? I don't really see how cutting and welding components to your stock exhaust system will fix the problem yet fully replacing it won't.
I’d have to take the shield off to check the manifold but basically the exhaust system is rusted out. It’s separating, rattling, and barely holding together. Putting a catback on wouldn’t resolve the issue. Not going to cut and weld to the current exhaust, all new piping going in as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back