The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spyder 420a Engine Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPWIRE915

Probationary Member
Jul 18, 2019
El Paso, Texas
Does anyone know if I could use the same manual transmission the 98 eclipse 2.4L SOHC engine uses on a 98 eclipse 2.0L DOHC engine, or do I need to get a specific one?? I am swapping my 2.4L SOHC with the 420a DOHC.

I want to swap my 4g64 sohc for a 420a dohc n/t on my 98 eclipse spyder gs. Can I do this using the same 4g64 manual transmission, harness and motor mounts? Or would I have to change everything to 420a dohc??????

Last edited by a moderator:
No the two transmissions are entirely different, you would have to use all the 420a gear.

The 2.4 is a 4g64, Sirius motor family. The 420a is Chrysler, same as many of the neons have.

Why are you going through all the trouble of the swap, for essentially a downgrade? Why not switch to a 4g63t or dohc swap the 4g64 and/or then turbo that?

No the two transmissions are entirely different, you would have to use all the 420a gear.

The 2.4 is a 4g64, Sirius motor family. The 420a is Chrysler, same as many of the neons have.

Why are you going through all the trouble of the swap, for essentially a downgrade? Why not switch to a 4g63t or dohc swap the 4g64 and/or then turbo that?
I've been trying to figure out what to do and was wondering if I could fit a DOHC head on my SOHC engine? I think the 4g63 head fits on my 4g64 but not sure what I have to change or where I would find the timing for this swap

There are some minor things to do for the dohc swap, and the timing components can be bought from supporting vendors like JNZ, STM, Extreme PSI etc.

If you haven't been into an engine or done any kind of swap before, or at the very least familiarized yourself with the 4g/Sirius engine family, I wouldn't recommend attempting the work.

Do some searching for 4g64 dohc swap and you'll find some info on here and on ram50 and mightymax forums.

There are some minor things to do for the dohc swap, and the timing components can be bought from supporting vendors like JNZ, STM, Extreme PSI etc.

If you haven't been into an engine or done any kind of swap before, or at the very least familiarized yourself with the 4g/Sirius engine family, I wouldn't recommend attempting the work.

Do some searching for 4g64 dohc swap and you'll find some info on here and on ram50 and mightymax forums.
Yes I'm familiar with working on engines just new to the dsm world I can do it just dont know what is compatable with what so your right I need to get more familiar with it. But I think I'm just gonna drop a 4g63t engine it from Japan with the awd manual transmission and look for the rear axle and assembly for 1500 the engine I'm looking at already comes with ecu and harness for the 98 eclipse spyder f*** all that swapping bullshit I'll just drop 10 grand on my shit but thanks for your help bro

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure you weren't over your head.

If you need/want AWD parts, lmk, I can prolly locate them for you.
okay I've decided over all what I want to do I found a 4g63t engine for 2500 from Japan or so it says. Now I am looking for the complete rear awd assembly for my 98 eclipse Spyder stick shift. I need the entire thing. Axles, diff, suspension, rotors, calipers, upper, lower a arms. Well so far I got the awd rear subframe and gas tank for awd and diff, need everything else tho can you help me out to locate all the other stuff please??? I been eating, sleeping and car parts for my Spyder my girl even tripping cause all I talk bout is 2g Spyder awd.

I'll see if I can locate some for you. I have all the stuff you'd need technically, but I was going to use them for my Spyder. Though I've been rethinking that lately.

Let me see what I can find, and I'll let you know what I come up with. If you want to take the conversation to pm just send me a message.

I'll see if I can locate some for you. I have all the stuff you'd need technically, but I was going to use them for my Spyder. Though I've been rethinking that lately.

Let me see what I can find, and I'll let you know what I come up with. If you want to take the conversation to pm just send me a message.
Yeah I'm down just that I wouldn't know how to do that. Send me a pm I'll holler back if you change your mind bout the swap I'll buy it all of you bro asap

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back