The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 420a camshaft/timing belt issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhunfiyell

Proven Member
Dec 12, 2012
williamstown, New_Jersey
okay, i put on my camshafts and it spinned pretty well. spinning with a wrench with ease, now when i put on the timing belt, it will move 1/4 at a time. my tdc rotated, so i dont know how i would put it back. Everytime i force to rotate it to put it back to tdc, the timing belt just keeps unsnapping from its wedge. Need help please. Thank You.

how would i put it back on tdc, i rotate the the cams and it just stops and forces the timing belt to just come off. I am very worried right now. Please let me know what to do.

okay, i put on my camshafts and it spinned pretty well. spinning with a wrench with ease, now when i put on the timing belt, it will move 1/4 at a time. my tdc rotated, so i dont know how i would put it back. Everytime i force to rotate it to put it back to tdc, the timing belt just keeps unsnapping from its wedge. Need help please. Thank You.

how would i put it back on tdc, i rotate the the cams and it just stops and forces the timing belt to just come off. I am very worried right now. Please let me know what to do.

Do you have a manual? You need to line the timing marks back up. The crank,the balance shaft if you have one , the oil pump and the cams. Don't ever force it or rotate it if you know the marks are off. If you have balance shaft there is a bolt on the block you take out and insert a screw driver to see if the balance shaft is in the right position. Get a manual and follow it step by step. Z. I read to fast,what I said is for a 4g63. But get a manual

I noticed for the kits for timing belts they come with pulleys to be replaced, I don't know about tensioner. I have no timing experience and put my car in the shop Monday for timing belt replacement as well, and didn't get a new tensioner. Maybe the 420a's don't have one? This is my guess though, I haven't seen what the side looks like if there is a spot for one or what. Someone else will have to help with this part to correct me if so. The shop didn't mention anything about one to me.
I hope you figure it out though. Good Luck! :thumb:

Ok this is a picture i have found, i hope it helps with the tensioner part.

Attachments

• timing diagam.jpg
    timing diagam.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 56
yah, i dont have the timing belt tensioner, is my timing belt smaller than the oem ? because i know the person i bought it from told me they replaced tensioners, but idk which one.

You have to press you tensioned down and lock it in place first. I am currently doing a trimming belt as well, I haven't had a chance to do that but I will let you know when I finish mine up. Compare your old belt to the new if your concerned about size

I would definately check to be sure you have a tensioner and the hydraluic pin the keeps the tensioner tight.

If your friend said he replaced it he may have changed it out with a different type of tensioner that may be the wrond type...check the picture up above for reference.

Yes, you're car has a hydraulic timing belt tensioner. I'm not sure how you got this far in the timing belt job without this information. Download the factory service manual from Scrib (free) and follow those steps as well as get the tutorial off 2gnt.com. The great thing about these cars is there are lots of nice people willing to help you along.

And do not turn over your engine out of frustration if you are not 100% sure the head and block are in sync.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im ready to put my timing belt back on after a harsh rebuild. Now i was looking through youtube 420a videos, and i realized that some tension pullys spin inside. Not a great way to describe it, but basically, i put my tensioner pully on and i started spinning it by hand, but the inner part of the tensioner doesnt move at all? is that normal? or was that the mechanical tensioner i am mistaken it for? Let me know, trying to get my car up and running by next weekend.

[ame=http://youtu.be/0CiwcslMVY4]Mechanical Tensioner Set Up - YouTube[/ame]

but do you see the middle of it, how it spins? i wasnt sure if mine was suppose to spin because idk im a newb! LOL, but anyways, is there a guide to replace a tensioner pulley?

okay, so i installed the timing belt, i aligned everything. TDC and the two cams marks facing each other. Now, i turn the crankshaft one revolution from tdc, then its off, i spin it one more revolution and its tdc. did i do this wrong, or is it suppose to be aligned everytime i go tdc. need help. thank you

okay, i got my timing belt on, took me about 6 hours to get everything aligned correctly. Just wanna come here to get a confirmation.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thank you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back