The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 420a built transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS-T_Newboost

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2007
Savannah, Georgia
ok the reason i am asking about built 420a transmissions is because my buddy broke his this weekend at the track. hes running built 420a with a 35r setup on 15 psi and he was on 24.5x8 in slicks. hes useing a dxd stage 5 clutch so theres no problem with slipping just transmission failure. stock neon 355 trans and diff. we pulled it out and tore it down and all the teeth off of the ring and pinion were striped off and the pinion bearing in the bell houseing was fried. left in first easy went to second and it broke. we got it home and the shifter cabel bushing was off. so it happened when it broke or is the reason that it broke. were woundering if anybody else is haveing tranny failure from hard launches or higher then normal hp. we contacted south bend and were going to have the ring and pinion gear cryo treated and shot peened to help strengthin them up any other suggestions. anybody ever heard of double syncroing these trannys or replacing with full brass syncros?

I know Terry experimented with all brass synchros, but he said the 3rd gear synchro was disappointing when compared to stock.

This is the main reason why my 2gnt got demoted from track car to street cruiser - boost. Once someone puts time into the drivetrain of the 420a plant there will be more people going fast. Awddynamite has said before he has one threw tran"S" as in multiple which is unexceptable to me. Breaking every one in a while is racing but a def flaw that can only be fixed by replacing is a lost cause.

There isn't enough backing either for a company to invest in this either. I tried to get people to come together to try and get raxle to invest into making some bullet proof axles like they make for the 2g awd plant and maybe 5 people said they would actualy buy the rest said we don't need them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back