The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 420a auto to manual transmission speed sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustin420a

Probationary Member
Sep 30, 2019
40055, Kentucky
99 eclipse gs automatic to manual swap has a 98 manual with 98 manual ecu automatic transmissions computer is unplugged it’s a 2 plug 2 wire each harness 1 output speed sensor 1 input speed sensor I have the yellow white wire found next to a gray blue wire I’m only using the yellow white wire the manual transmission has a 3 wire speed sensor and is yellow, black green, and yellow white the yellow white is connected to the yellow white wire on the 2 plug 2 wire harness with the yellow white wire black green wire is wired to ecu pin 43 and yellow connected to pin 44
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

vss pin 3 (yellow/white) > EATX ECM pin 18 (yellow/white)

EATX ecm is the one under the stereo.

the starter relays are different and work in opposite ways. i don't think i need to go into detail.
basically if you want to keep it simple, you could splice a wire into the small (black/yellow) wire coming off pin1 of the starter relay. The other end would be spliced into the (yellow/black) off the e-brake handle.
that would mean the car will only start if the ebrake is on.

you could just splice into the (black/yellow) off the starter relay and connect it to ground. if you did that it would start any time you turned the key.

vss pin 3 (yellow/white) > EATX ECM pin 18 (yellow/white)

EATX ecm is the one under the stereo.

the starter relays are different and work in opposite ways. i don't think i need to go into detail.
basically if you want to keep it simple, you could splice a wire into the small (black/yellow) wire coming off pin1 of the starter relay. The other end would be spliced into the (yellow/black) off the e-brake handle.
that would mean the car will only start if the ebrake is on.

you could just splice into the (black/yellow) off the starter relay and connect it to ground. if you did that it would start any time you turned the key.
I have no starting issues it runs and drives just fine I just need Speedo to work

I couldn't tell what your actual question was so i guessed. Anyway so you wired it correctly and everything work except the speedo. And i assume the VSS checked out okay, so that means the drive gear on the diff is trashed, or the gauge cluster has an issue.

Ever considered using heat shrink instead of electrical tape? Much more reliable and clean looking
electrical tape is the worst cause the adhesive turns into a horrible mess when it sits for a while. roof cement will come off your hands easier than that shit.

Literally don’t care about how it looks or is just that it works for now used electrical tape Bc I’m just wiring everything up and trying it out so I can just pull it all out if I mess up you all aren’t help
Ever considered using heat shrink instead of electrical tape? Much more reliable and clean looking

I couldn't tell what your actual question was so i guessed. Anyway so you wired it correctly and everything work except the speedo. And i assume the VSS checked out okay, so that means the drive gear on the diff is trashed, or the gauge cluster has an issue.

Gauge cluster works just fine have had 3 gauge clusters all worked before the drive gear is just fine the sensor is just fine have ran multiple and multiple test to prove that all worked just it’s not giving it’s signal I’m not worried about shrink wrap or tape or anything until I have gotten it actually together then I’ll make it look right when it’s working correctly

Not worried about it looking clean if it doesn’t even work yet that makes no sense I need an actual question answered not a waist of time on how it looks when it’s all going to get pulled apart and re wired many times

You're much less likely to get help when you're being an asshole.

If the sensor is fine, the wiring is "fine", and the gauge cluster is fine, then what is left? Seems like you should be able to get this one on your own.

We are trying to help. But you must help us before we can help you.

did you forget to unplug the EATX-ECU?

just to clarify, when you say the drive gear is good, your talking about the one on the differential and not the on on the VSS, correct?

and you do know if you connect
vss pin 3 (yellow/white) at the ecu instead of at
EATX ECM pin 18 (yellow/white)
you cut out the part of the circuit that goes to the gauges, right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back