The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420a 5spd tranny swap???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipse90Turbo

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2003
Indianapolis, Indiana
What's up everyone! I have a question about swapping my automatic transmission for a 5spd tranny. I've searched the forums, but didn't really get all of the info I was looking for, and a lot of the threads delt with a GST..etc. Anyways, I'm thinking about doing a swap and I have some overall general questions.

1) What other cars can I take a 5spd tranny out of and be able to bolt it to my 420a? I've heard you can use a neon or avenger transmission, but I wasn't sure on the years of those makes. So if anyone can provide a short list of model, make and year for the tranny's that are available.

2) What parts do you need in order to perform the swap. I was debating a visit to a junk yard and pulling parts from a 5spd non-turbo, but that may be hard to find. I've heard that there are kits out there, but I would rather do it, with the lowest cost involved. Also, concerning the parts needed do you have to switch out the ECU and Engine harness for the swap to work properly?

3) If you have any further info that could be useful I'm open to it all. I want to do this right, with as little problems as possible, even though I know all car work especially a swap will have issues!

Thanks for the time and space and I hope we can fill this out with a lot of good info. Maybe it could be used as a reference for the forum.

I sent a post on that thread too! That's funny! I got that information and was going to post it here for all to see on this site. I want to thank the member on 2gnt.com for all the information he provided. Thank you too for looking and helping me out too! From one car guy to another!

ok i am still trying to get this speed sensor hooked up i just ran across this post on 2gnt i got the 1st and 2nd wire hooked up but on the 3rd wire i am lost any help??? i have a 97 eclipse 420a

Speedo needs 3 wires. When looking at the plug from the front side (back side is where the wires come out) and the clip on top. Numbers are from left to right
__^__
(1 2 3 )

Middle wire is location 2 and needs to be grounded. Run the wire into the harness and solder it to the middle wire of the Cam sensor (ground also).

Pin 1 is going to be a Yellow wire in the plug, this is 9v reference wire. Follow this to the spot where you soldered in the ground to the Cam sensor wire and splice into the yellow wire there as well. The Cam, Crank and Speed sensor all use the same 9v wire.

Pin 3 is the VSS signal wire to the ECU which is also 5v. This should go to pin 66 in A106 ECU plug (top plug in ECU).

thats where i found all the info in the first place. so what i did was hook the black wire and the yellow to the the black and yellow wire on the cam shaft sensor like it said to do in the link above. and than ran the yellow/white wire to pin 66 in the ecu plug. and when i drive it the speedometer only goes up to about 20mph and it will pulsate up and down from 20 to 5 mph. so then i hooked all 3 wires to the same color wire on the ecu plug. and got the same result then i left the 2 yellow wires hooked to the ecu and hooked the black wire directly the the negative side on the battery post and still same result.. 2 years after doing the auto to manual swap i am geting tired of messing with the speed sensor. so any help would be great

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back