The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

4000rpms slow spool for a EVO16G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Check your wastegate. I was having this same problem with my Big 16G. I had to shim the wastegate because the flapper wasn't being pulled closed all the way. If anything, eliminate it from your list of suspects by checking it out.

Well I advanced the timing 3 degrees from 4000 and up and she's really moving now. 1st spins and I can get 2nd to break loose atleast a one wheel slipage so it's got some power back. I think I'm getting like 15 degrees down low now and around 19 at redline.

To me, it looks like you are running really rich. From what I understand, past a certain point fuel stops cooling the charge and acts as a major ignition retard. It looks like running 10.5:1 like your graph shows could be acting as a major limiting factor to the quick spool up of your turbo. I don't know what optimal is, but 10.5:1 seems awfully rich to me.

Does anyone else believe this to be true? A tuning friend of mine like to tune 'lean and retarded' instead of 'rich and advanced', because the rich condition is artificially retarding the timing, which you then undo by advancing. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to expend energy doing something and then spend more energy undoing it.

I'm still learning, so be gentle :).

twkd

truwarrior said:
How about this for a diagnostics, when I start the car then put my hand over the valve cover, I feel a noticable suction, sucking my hand into the valve cover...it's not that hard though to were it totally sucks it in, just enough like it's trying to give my palm a hickie LOL
ROFL

http://home.comcast.net/~gvozdjakj/PDC_0091.JPG

You need to turn the crank around 360 degrees one more time if you want it to be at TDC, if that is what you are trying to illustrate.

My cars gotta be off a tooth or something, I bumped my timing 3 degree across the board and the car pull much harder but I still think it should pull harder. I'm gettting 19 degrees at redline instead of 16 but dsmlink says i'm making like 220hp with 19 degrees of timing a 19 psi of boost and a 11:1 a/f.

jeez, i feel like i have the same problems with my 14b, sometimes the car pulls hard other times not so much. i have a late spool for sure and no boost leaks. also for some reason my vaccume gaust at idle will read 12 or 13 but then other days 16-18/. weird.!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back