The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4000 Gt .... Will it happen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awd4g63turbo

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2007
Greenville, North_Carolina
I ran across this video that is supposed to be Mitsubishi's new rendering of the new 3000gt. I have been trying to find some other information without any luck, such as engine, drivetrain, price, cost, ECT...
I did notice that it has TURBO on the front fender behind the tire, so that is one good thing. I actually figured they would have tried to make it a hybrid/electric since that's what was said if they brought back the Evo. Hopefully it actually makes it into production, and would be great if it could hang with the Gtr's....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Tiny, tiny grain of salt to be consumed with anything like this. Nothing more than hopeful fanboyism.
Besides, what they did with the Eclipse name over the past two decades, I wouldnt put any hope on them doing something useful with the name.
4000 could very well mean mAh for their next pathetic electric car and GT could stand for gutter trash.

Hope's are still at zero, but I love the design!!
In general it is sad to think about sport car production nowadays, being left with only a few proper tuning platforms, I definitely hope we don't lose anymore, I'm actually very pleased about the c8 Corvette, I realized that with that price point, it is available to many more people, and seems to be a great platform as well, although I prefer Japanese to American, props to Chevy for doing that right, I can't say the same for most Japanese brands right now, at least we still have great older models.

Not going to happen, at least not in the US market. Mitsubishi has turned their attention towards small SUV's and Sub Compact cars. There's a reason they used the eclipse moniker on an SUV, the eclipse as we knew it is gone.

I wouldn't even be upset at the Eclipse moniker going on an SUV, if it was turbo and AWD. I own a Ford Edge SUV that's AWD and has the 2.7 twin turbo motor. If Mitsu built something like that using their amazing performance heritage to come up with an iron block twin turbo awd beast and call it an Eclipse, a 4000GT, or even an Evo, I'd accept it because a fast ass SUV is just as great as a fast ass car. Ford Explorer ST's with a fuel pump upgrade and an E85 tune run 11's. Imagine what mitsu could do if they got serious(or sirius...heh...I slay me).

I wouldn't even be upset at the Eclipse moniker going on an SUV, if it was turbo and AWD. I own a Ford Edge SUV that's AWD and has the 2.7 twin turbo motor. If Mitsu built something like that using their amazing performance heritage to come up with an iron block twin turbo awd beast and call it an Eclipse, a 4000GT, or even an Evo, I'd accept it because a fast ass SUV is just as great as a fast ass car. Ford Explorer ST's with a fuel pump upgrade and an E85 tune run 11's. Imagine what mitsu could do if they got serious(or sirius...heh...I slay me).

While I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.. Its not going to happen.

Have you been in a 2020 Mitsubishi? I have, they're horrible. The drivetrains are underwhelming, the tech is way behind every other manufacturer in the game right now, and the build quality is laughable. They're purpose built to attract the budget conscious/sub-prime buyer.

They've essentially taken over the niche in the market that Kia and Hyundai filled 10 years ago, even going so far as to offer a 10 year/100k mile power train warranty to the original owner. Now, Kia and Hyundai are putting out some excellent vehicles, which gives me hope that the powers that be at Mitsu will eventually get their heads out of their asses and get back to the roots that made them successful in the US market.

Until then, you're going to have to look elsewhere if you want exciting new vehicles.

With the exception of the Evo up to Evo IX, Mitsubishi didn't produce anything worth owning after 1999 here in the US. I saw this exact rendering on facebook earlier this year. It's just a fan render, not something even rendered by Mitsubishi. They will never produce anything worth owning in the sake of a fun car again.

They've essentially taken over the niche in the market that Kia and Hyundai filled 10 years ago.

Damn. I didn't realize how true this really is. Kia/Hyundai are definitely the new Mitsubishi. Kia Stinger, Kia Forte Turbo coupe, Hyundai Genesis, etc. And Mitsu is the old Hyundai/Kia. Shitbox cars, made extremely cheaply, so people would buy it because it's cheap.

That hit me right in my soul.

Damn. I didn't realize how true this really is. Kia/Hyundai are definitely the new Mitsubishi. Kia Stinger, Kia Forte Turbo coupe, Hyundai Genesis, etc. And Mitsu is the old Hyundai/Kia. sh**box cars, made extremely cheaply, so people would buy it because it's cheap.

That hit me right in my soul.

It goes further down the product line too, not just on the sports end.

The Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride easily rival all other Mid/Full-Size SUV's in the market. Hell, when the Palisade first launched I considered trading in my GMC Acadia I was so impressed. The Optima/Sonata are huge in the full size sedan category, and you hit the nail on the head with the Stinger, Forte, and Genesis (which, don't know if you realized, but Hyundai pulled a Lexus/Acura move and branched the Genesis lineup off into their own brand category now), but you forgot about the Hyundai Veloster N.. 275 hp out of a Turbo 2.0 litre DOHC 4 cylinder. It's almost as if they're rubbing salt in the wound on that one...

This is exactly why I'm not going to write Mitsubishi off entirely. The key thing that needs to happen is at the top of the food chain though. With the recent shake-up at the top of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance, and Nissan's recent unveiling of the (finally) redesigned Z, there's definitely a chance we could see a Mitsu revival. Nissan will get theirs first, as they're the power player in the US market. Maybe, just maybe, after Nissan is back up and running (selling more than just Rogues and Sentras to the rental car companies), Mitsubishi will surprise us.

On a side note, no, I am not a Hyundai or Kia fanboy. I work for one of the largest Automotive Merchandising companies on the east coast, providing photography services for 400+ auto dealers throughout NJ/PA/DE/MD. I get the opportunity to drive brand new vehicles from countless different manufacturers, everything from Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, GM, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, Maserati, etc. and tend to stay very involved with whispers in the auto manufacturing industry. I daily my 2G from dealership to dealership, driving countless new vehicles, and I wouldn't trade my 2G for any of them.

It's a very rewarding career for a car guy, other than the first time I saw a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross in person... I wanted to vomit..

It goes further down the product line too, not just on the sports end.

The Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride easily rival all other Mid/Full-Size SUV's in the market. Hell, when the Palisade first launched I considered trading in my GMC Acadia I was so impressed. The Optima/Sonata are huge in the full size sedan category, and you hit the nail on the head with the Stinger, Forte, and Genesis (which, don't know if you realized, but Hyundai pulled a Lexus/Acura move and branched the Genesis lineup off into their own brand category now), but you forgot about the Hyundai Veloster N.. 275 hp out of a Turbo 2.0 litre DOHC 4 cylinder. It's almost as if they're rubbing salt in the wound on that one...

This is exactly why I'm not going to write Mitsubishi off entirely. The key thing that needs to happen is at the top of the food chain though. With the recent shake-up at the top of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance, and Nissan's recent unveiling of the (finally) redesigned Z, there's definitely a chance we could see a Mitsu revival. Nissan will get theirs first, as they're the power player in the US market. Maybe, just maybe, after Nissan is back up and running (selling more than just Rogues and Sentras to the rental car companies), Mitsubishi will surprise us.

On a side note, no, I am not a Hyundai or Kia fanboy. I work for one of the largest Automotive Merchandising companies on the east coast, providing photography services for 400+ auto dealers throughout NJ/PA/DE/MD. I get the opportunity to drive brand new vehicles from countless different manufacturers, everything from Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, GM, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, Maserati, etc. and tend to stay very involved with whispers in the auto manufacturing industry. I daily my 2G from dealership to dealership, driving countless new vehicles, and I wouldn't trade my 2G for any of them.

It's a very rewarding career for a car guy, other than the first time I saw a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross in person... I wanted to vomit..

The part about you not trading your 2g put a smile on my face

It's kinda funny you guys mention the Kia Forte in there. Sadly, they no longer offer the Forte coupe, but the current sedan version does look good. I have a 1st Gen Forte coupe with the horrible 2.4 engine. After a bit of research after I got the car last year, I found out that the Evo X has the same base engine, essentially, the 4B11 and Hyundai/Kia's Theta II engine are the same. I'm not talking in terms of power, turbo, or the stress it can handle, but rather they are the same engine family built between those companies and a few others. I've looked at both engines, and I can bolt a 4B11 to my Forte's transmission. So in time, I am doing this. There's a bit more to it, but it should work. Another odd thing, is the Evo X and my Forte coupe, have identical wheel base measurements, and nearly identical width, wheel track, and some other interesting measurements. So, with some minimal fabrication, I can have an Evo powered, AWD Forte.

Last edited:
It's kinda funny you guys mention the Kia Forte in there. Sadly, they no longer offer the Forte coupe, but the current sedan version does look good. I have a 1st Gen Forte coupe with the horrible 2.4 engine. After a bit of research after I got the car last year, I found out that the Evo X has the same base engine, essentially, the 4B11 and Hyundai/Kia's Theta II engine are the same. I'm not talking in terms of power, turbo, or the stress it can handle, but rather they are the same engine family built between those companies and a few others. I've looked at both engines, and I can bolt a 4B11 to my Forte's transmission. So in time, I am doing this. There's a bit more to it, but it should work. Another odd thing, is the Evo X and my Forte coupe, have identical wheel base measurements, and nearly identical width, wheel track, and some other interesting measurements. So, with some minimal fabrication, I can have an Evo powered, AWD Forte.

Dude, I've got a friend with a Kia Forte hatch with the 2.4 and he and I have been looking for mod options. There's some out there, but nothing as extensive as other platforms. Don't think we'll ever have the money (or guts LOL) to do an evo swap, but that is possibly one of the coolest things that I've heard of... talk about a sleeper :cool:

Dude, I've got a friend with a Kia Forte hatch with the 2.4 and he and I have been looking for mod options. There's some out there, but nothing as extensive as other platforms. Don't think we'll ever have the money (or guts LOL) to do an evo swap, but that is possibly one of the coolest things that I've heard of... talk about a sleeper :cool:

I ended up researching this out of necessity unfortunately. So I bought the car last Sept, and this Feb, only 5 months after buying it, the engine blew with no warning. It had 87xxx miles on it. It suffered the same defect that all the other cars that Hyundai and Kia put that engine into had which all got recalled. Fortes were left off the recall list for one reason. Fortes have port injection, all the others were GDi engines. Yet all the short block part numbers are the same. So Kia told me to go f@&k myself because they wouldn't help. To make this short, I bought another engine, but it's only a matter of time before this engine fails. They all have the defect. So make sure your friend is aware if he isn't already. Kia won't help unless he is the original owner, and even then it's a long shot. So in time, I will be buying a wrecked Evo X GSR and will pull the engine, drivetrain, ECU and engine harness, and some other random parts to convert my Kia. I do like the idea of the ultimate sleeper, makes me smile inside. Like I previously mentioned, I've done a lot of research into this swap potential, and from what I've seen, no one has yet done it, or at least done it and mentioned doing it. The ECUs are mounted in the same spots, the engine mounts bolted to the engine are the same, power steering setup is the same, the engines are practically identical from the outside minus the manifolds, for obvious reasons. So this will happen for me, just gotta find the right Evo.

This would be one hell of a swap. I'd love to see it!

Once I start this, I'll probably have a build journal going in the "non-DSM" section on here.

He just got a new engine actually cuz the last one took a crap... I wonder if this is why...

I would bet on it.

What exactly is wrong with their engines?

Basically, Hyundai/Kia had poor quality control and the crankshafts weren't machined properly. They would mainly have burrs somewhere on the journals. This would over a short amount of time lead to premature bearing failure and in most situations, a seized engine. In my specific case, the engine started rattling and knocking hard while driving to work. Power dropped almost immediately, so I got to the side of the road and shut it off. Engine didn't seize possibly because I reacted so quickly. Just a guess. After trying to get Kia to provide a new engine, and failing, I decided to buy a used engine from LKQ since I also found out that Kia quietly and conveniently discontinued my engine. I ended up going through 3 engines from LKQ. The first one I got, I decided to pull the oil pan before installing just to see if it was okay. It had bearing glitter everywhere, including under the valve cover. Sent it back and got another, same problem. Both these engines had less miles than my car, by at least 10k. The third engine I got, which I did put in my car, had 118k miles, and very minimal glitter. Almost looked like normal wear. I've had it in the car since mid-June, and have put almost 6000 miles on it, and so far no problems. However, it's my belief that this engine will also have the same problem in time, which is why I'm gonna go with a 4B11T replacement. Kia and Hyundai recalled every other car model with this engine, except the Forte, and the Forte is the only one with the port injection version. My wife's Optima got a free new engine 2 years ago for this same recall, but not my car.

I tore my old engine apart before getting a new one just to see what failed. The thrust bearing was destroyed, but the journals on the crank and block were perfect. No idea how that was possible. Cylinder 2 was the source of the knock though. The rod bearing was completely destroyed, and both halves were on the same side of the journal. Caused so much knock that the cylinder wall was done. Rod was done. Piston was done. Had glitter caked everywhere under the valve cover and all through the oil pump/balance shaft assembly. Currently, that engine is in my basement collecting dust. I'm gonna take a few good parts from it for spares, but 90% of it isn't worth the time to salvage.

Last edited:
Naaahhh...it's a nice concept but Mitsubishi is having issues selling cars here lately...and the numbers show most people are buying SUVs, crossovers and trucks anyway. Not much market for a two door sports car. Even Porsch sold out and made a 4 door sports car (puke) so I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi won't build the 4000GT. But some of the renderings look pretty cool!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back