The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 40 over wiseco pistons ring gap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGst98

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2010
Concord, North_Carolina
double checking as I have read other people gapping to something little bigger.

Got my engine back from the machine shop, setting my ring gap the instructions say

1st ring = bore X .0050
3.386X .0050=.0169 or .017
2nd ring = bore X .0055
3.386 X .0055 = .0186 or .019

I have read other gap to .020 first ring and .024 second ring. The rings I got from wiseco have them at .017 first and .024 second before I ground any away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
The ring gap would be depending on your setup (how much boost, how much you spray nitrous, etc) and how you like on your engine. The 1st ring to seal and the 2nd to scrape oil.
And that is normal that the 2nd rings come with wider gap from factory. (and this is also due to the bore size of the cylinder) In case if you want narrower gap on 2nd rings than the gaps come from factory, you have to get one size smaller piston rings and file them to fit your desired gap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back