The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 4 turbo bolts... NOT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Rider

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2009
NW, Connecticut
Getting closer to getting the head off. And I see this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

3 bolts and a stud with a nut. WTF??? Is this the way the factory did it? Was my car built on the day they ran out of turbo bolts? Sure hope all 4 come out.

Interesting though-
The most logical reason to me is that it makes it easier to assemble, as the one stud acts as a guide. But then I think about all the places where assembly is a complete Pain on these cars, and in much less accessible places than front and center under hood, so that kind of pops that idea balloon.
sometimes a stud/nut combo is used when there isn’t room to stab or remove the bolt due to access, but again that seems not to be the issue here.
Oh well, anyway, yours is stock, just as Mr. Diamond-Star intended.

Interesting though-
The most logical reason to me is that it makes it easier to assemble, as the one stud acts as a guide. But then I think about all the places where assembly is a complete Pain on these cars, and in much less accessible places than front and center under hood, so that kind of pops that idea balloon.
sometimes a stud/nut combo is used when there isn’t room to stab or remove the bolt due to access, but again that seems not to be the issue here.
Oh well, anyway, yours is stock, just as Mr. Diamond-Star intended.
But you're right, thats the only reason for using a stud/nut combo on these cars.
The stud acts as a guide like you already said. Not because there isn't much room, but rather because it makes it easier to align the gasket between the 2 flanges correctly, like on the head/exhaust manifold, manifold/turbo, O2 housing/turbo or TB/Intake manifold for example.

The guide concept occurred to me, but if the stud won't come out you might have a larger pain than easier alignment on assembly.

Anyway, I started hitting these fwd and rev with 50 lbs in the air impact gun. Incrementally increased the pressure. The nut let go at 50lbs, 2 bolts let go at 75 lbs, last one took 90 lbs and spun out. At this point I'm giddy every time I get a bolt or nut off without shearing it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back