The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 4 inch speaker suggestions/recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunn3r

Proven Member
Nov 1, 2019
Rockland, New_York
I'm in the process of replacing my 1g's speakers. I recently purchased some Alpine S-S40 speakers to replace the 4inch speakers by the windshield. These speakers were listed on multiple car audio websites as being able to fit, but unfortunately they don't without some serious modification.

Can anyone kindly recommend some speakers that would fit without fabrication? Thank you.

Your correct, the diameter is spot on.

It's the mounting depth that is the issue. The speaker does not sit flush with the dash.

Your correct, the diameter is spot on.

It's the mounting depth that is the issue. The speaker does not sit flush with the dash.

Need to measure the mounting depth of stock speakers and search for the same on a site like Crutchfield for compatible speakers if you don't want to modify to fit..

Another option is to scrap the dash speakers and go with some separates in the doors along with 6x9's in the back..

I did some measurements and it came to about 1 3/4 depth. The Alpine speaker I was using had a 2 inch depth.

I'm not sure if depth is the only issue I might be having. The with of the magnet at the end of the speaker will need to be taken into consideration.

I was thinking about ditching the speaker and possibly doing a small tweeter, but would like to find out if anyone has replaced them here, and what brand/model they used.

Run components. Put the 6.5 midwoofer in the door and tweeter in the dash.

Pretty sure I have Rockford fosgate 4” in the dash. I did have to trim it a little to fit. Sorry I don’t know the model number.

It's been about 15 years since I had my 1g, but I remember also having rockford fosgate 4" speakers in the dash, and they fit without modification. I would check out crutchfeild for a RF speaker that has a depth that would work.

I'm no audio expert, but it seems the consensus recommendation nowadays is to run component speakers with the tweeter somewhere on the door. Don't even bother with dash speakers. Does anyone have advice on the 6x9s in the back for good bass? I don't want a subwoofer.

I'm no audio expert, but it seems the consensus recommendation nowadays is to run component speakers with the tweeter somewhere on the door. Don't even bother with dash speakers. Does anyone have advice on the 6x9s in the back for good bass? I don't want a subwoofer.

I run the Memphis audio prx69's with a small amplifier and it's sounds great..

I had amplified Hertz HCX165 coaxial 6.5s as the only speakers in my S2000 and they were mindblowing. Much better midbass than anything else I had ever used and they honestly didn't need a subwoofer, but I added a 10" anyway just to fill it out. Hertz speakers are incredible - a subwoofer wouldn't be needed with their 6x9s, especially if you run them at higher than usual head unit power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back