The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4" Exhaust system??!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Mirage2LTurbo
I can name plenty off 500-600whp DSM's on 3in exhaust with a Tial 40-46mm vented EXTERNALLY, that is the key, to vent your wg OUTSIDE of the exhaust piping. a tial 40 is about 1.6inches, and a 46 is 1.8inches, so where you vent your wg makes a HUGE impact on the size of exhaust you need to run.

There are a lot of cars making big numbers with a 3" exhaust. The real question is, how much power am I going to make if I get a 3.5" to replace a 3". For example, a 400hp car may benefit from going from a 3" to a 3.5", but and 800hp car will benefit much more. So yes, plenty of high HP cars use 3", but that does not mean increasing exhaust is a waste of time.

Secondly, on our cars, exhaust is really one thing that cannot be overdone. Dre99gsx is making slightly over 500whp, and he has a 3.5"... Im sure a 3" would be fine, but having the extra diameter will just be better in the long run.

Lastly, I would love to have an external wastegate that dumped back into the exhaust. I have seen the crazy looking O2 housings that are designed for that. They look really cool, and being a CA resident, I would probably not be in as much trouble with recirc. WG as opposed to a dump tube. It would also be a lot LOT quieter to have an ext. WG dumped back into the exhaust.

Don't start me on Dre claiming 500whp on a 50 trim.

I'm running a 3in now, only because I got a hell of a deal on it. My next exhaust will be 3.5in, wastegate dumped externally. There is NO POINT to run any bigger than that, even if you route your wg dump back into your exhaust. See: John Shepperd.

Originally posted by Scrymerr
There are a lot of cars making big numbers with a 3" exhaust. The real question is, how much power am I going to make if I get a 3.5" to replace a 3". For example, a 400hp car may benefit from going from a 3" to a 3.5", but and 800hp car will benefit much more. So yes, plenty of high HP cars use 3", but that does not mean increasing exhaust is a waste of time.

this is pointless, one question, to you, and anyone else looking at 3.5" and higher exhaust, are you running 800hp?? 700hp?? 600hp?? 500hp?? doubtful, very few even get to 500. go with whats proven, and IMHO if you have to even ask about a 4" exhaust, you don't need it, tell me this, how many people do you see on here, or any other dsm forum asking "yea, my car runs 9's, would a 3.5" or 4" exhuast benefit me?" well, i sure as hell haven't. and as stated in the tuning guide from above for the stage 2: 400hp ;"Once you've completed these mods, and only then will you have enough knowledge of how these cars handle power to go further. It is possible to get over 600 horsepower out of the 4G63 engine, but it will require some digging into the motor to add some high performance internals. We assume that if you've come this far, there's no need to explain what needs to be done next to achieve more power - you should have done all the research by now. And if you haven't gotten this far yet, you shouldn't be asking
;) "

Dustin

Originally posted by swing lo
If this thread is so pointless, then maybe you all that think that shouldn't even post.

Here's your final answer dingleberry. Go put that 4in exhaust on your car, and tell us how it works out for ya. Since you know so much more that all of us advising you against it, go do it. If you were planning on doing it anyways, why'd you ask in the first place?

Thread closed.

Post up another thread when you actually get the exhaust done and have dyno results with the 3inch and 4inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back