The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4 Different Tires to choose from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Ok, I need new tires, they are 245/40/17's, going on a 17x8" rim, and these are what I am considering

Tire-------------------------------Price-------Tread Wear Rating
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's----$179--------------280
BFG G-Force T/A KD------------$186---------------200
BridgeStone Potenza RE750----$158---------------340
Kumho Ecsta MX----------------$127---------------220

Currently I have Falken Azenis Sports 245/45/17's I don't want them again because they don't come 245/40's and I want the smaller sidewall.

What I want are tires that will have dry traction as good, if not better than the Azenis but that will last longer (I've had the Azenis since the end of June...not more that 10k miles but not exactly sure)

I don't care about wet traction
I don't care about noise
All I do care about is dry traction and treadwear (hey I live in Cali)

I am leaning towards the Eagle F1's because they seem to have as good of traction as the Azenis but last longer plus there is a $75 rebate right now when you buy 4.
The G-Force T/A KD's...well I like them, but I'm afraid they will wear out too soon and they are so damn expensive.

Thanx you guys...just lookin for advise :thumb:

I run 245/40/17s on the street and when autoXing in a street-tire class. Of the tires you list, it's down to the KDs and the MXs. The KDs have better ultimate dry grip, but weigh a tad more than the MXs. They also cost a lot more and the MXs are better in heavy rain. I'd say, if you have the money and don't see standing puddles, get the KDs. If rainy-day safety is an issue and you can give up .02 g or so, then get the MXs.

Note: neither is even close to an Azeni. (I agree that it sucks that they don't come in our size.) In fact, as long as they don't get too hot (which will make them get greasy), a 225/45/17 Azeni has more grip than a 245/40/17 MX. They are simply that much better.

- Jtoby

hmm...just saw these...anybody ever try them

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...oductType=TIRE&index=4&productCodeIndex=28662

So far, still leaning towards the F1's...I think the KD's and MX's probably have better traction, but I'm afraid of them wearing out in 6 months like my Azenis's did.

And JTM...your saying that the Azenis is that much stickier than KD's and MX's? I thought even the F1's were stickier than the Azenis...damn, I've been going on some really sticky tires and didn't even know it.

Who knows...I may even go for the Azenis again, cause now, back on stock rims and tires, the ride is too low...those 45 series raised it up so that it was just right.

I don't know anything about "F1"s. Maybe they have a treadwear below 140 (which is the minimum for the street-tire class in autoXing). I am very sure that nothing in 140+ range is as sticky as Azenis.

If longevity is an issue, then seriously consider 245/40/17 MXs. The wear has been fine. And they get better over the first 1000 miles. After that, they've been steady and I'm at 3000 miles now.

And they don't trammel much and are pretty quiet for a big tread-block design. All in all, I've been happy with the MXs except for one time: when I lost at a big event to two WRXs, both of which were on Azenis.

- Jtoby

Ok...I'll be buying the MX's in about a month...or less. Just have to get some body work finished...buy a new rim and then buy the tires.

I'll let you guys know what I think of them (compared to the Azenis's) after I've had them for a while...

Ok...well, thanx

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back