The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 3rd gear and 4th messed up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GTSi

Probationary Member
Jan 24, 2006
Mesquite, Texas
Ok right now my car is messing up bad. It grinds in 1st sometimes. 2nd pops out every now and then and grinds sometimes. 3rd only grinds and that it, you cant get it into the gear at all. 4th is not there. If you try to put it in it stops right between netural and 4th. 5th gear grinds as well. Any idea what it could be.

check your Shifter linkage first (just got through an ordeal with that, myself actually, and I now know more about shifter linkage than I would care to ;) ).
Here is a VFAQ that includes the basics of how to adjust the linkage. The faq is for a 1g, but if I recall, the 2g adjustment procedure is basically the same, so this should give you an idea:
http://vfaq.com/mods/shifter3.html

If this doesn't work, try changing your transmission fluid (a good idea anyway, if you haven't done it recently).

It started back in Feb. I had the car for almost 3 months and most of that time it was in the shop getting the front main seals replaced, and then the lifters went out and the tranny. It just did it all of a sudden. It was really werid. What made me mad was I had had the car for less then 3 months and only drove it about 2000 miles and that was easy miles. Never got to see what the car had. I just started driving it again about 2 months ago and had to just put up with it cause its my daily driver. Hope that helps. As for the cables they where checked and they were fine. The clutch is worn out uneven though. Not sure why.

ok i had some similar problems as you....hope this helps...when i first got the car, it was fine for a few days but than began not going into fourth gear....it just wouldnt go in at all....drove the car by skipping over fourth and tghe problem just got worse and worse....mine turned out to be a blown transmission....so we had that re-built with a new clutch and flywheel etc.....than i started having a problem with it slamming really hard out of 2nd gear....brought it right back to the guy and he said that my clutch was also wearing unevenly and it ended up screwing up my new re-built transmission with only 15,000 miles on it so he honored his warranty and re-built it again....i have the car once again and everything is smooth so in my opinion....if your clutch is completely worn out and it wore out unevenly.....chances are it might be time to have the transmission replaced....i mean i'm hoping its not but to me it sounds like it could really be the problem...hope any of this helps....re-post if you find anymore out about your problem too...good luck :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back