The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

3rd AND 5th popping out of gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexxieRacerChik

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2002
Birmingham_Ala
I've seen several threads on this but none are exactly what mine is doing.

I had a wreck months ago and have just now gotten the car back together and running.

The pressure plate was broken in-two. No damage to the trans housing at all. So I put a new OEM clutch in and drive it to work today. Everything was fine, shifted great, no problems.

Well on the way home 3rd gear started popping out on it's own. Now it's popped out before mind you, but only if I was going up hill, or putting stress on the car and I happened to have my hand on the shifter. After the 3rd gear started doing it (me not touchign it) about 10 min later 5th started the same thing..it has never done it.

Didn't give me any problems on the way to work, but it did smell hot when I got there..but I'm not sure if that was from anything spilled under the hood, or the transmision. Engine gauage said the engine was fine...just half way on the scale.

Any idea's of what this could be? Thanks.

I forgot I was going to attatch a picture of the old clutch kit.

It's so rusty from being on the car with out a transmission for 2 months.

Attachments

• mvc-009s.jpg
    mvc-009s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 251
Gear selector fork is probably not in place correctly. Could also be bad synchro's (maybe, more likely the selector)

Another good thread to read is this...
Another good thread about the same issue
How they fixed the problem in a gs-t

Just my .02 it could be a few different things.
1. Worn or improperly adjusted linkage (I think this #1)
2. Transaxle loose on engine (don't think thats it... :p)
3. Shift linkage does not work freely, binds (I think this #3)
4. Input gear bearing retainer broken or loose (dont think)
5. Dirt between clutch cover and engine housing (dont think)
6. Worn shift fork (I think this #2)

Thats just things you can check out. How did the fork look when the trans was apart?

ok..now it's progressed to doing something else.

Was fine (except for the gears popping out) last night. Today when I got in it to drive, I put it in neutral and let off the clutch pedal and it made this horrible, I don't wanna say grinding..but very close, metal sound. I put it in reverse and let off the pedal and it still made the noise. Then the gears didn't want to change at all. I finally got it back in first and drove off a little. Once I got it in second the noise stopped, third still pops out but now if I am going over 70mph 5th stays in place...if I drop below 70 it pops out. :|

I had taken it over to a friends house and we were going to drain the trans fluid to see if there were any shavings in it..but his dad said to wait because to him it sounded like the syncrode (sp?) was damaged, or the fork was bent.

So I'm guessing it's just going to have to either be replaced or rebuilt...replacement is probably what I am going to have to do at this point though.:thumbdown this really sucks.

Well after I tore it apart we found a burnt Needle Roller Bearing (the plastic caged one) behind 4/5th and the shifting fork boots (little un-replaceable plastic pads mounted on the shifting fork inside edges) to 3/4/5/ were melted off.

I got the bearing for $4 and I bought a set of used forks from someone who had replaced theirs with better ones for $65. Just gotta get a seal and some gear oil from mitsu and I'm set. YAY! Getting it fixed this week. :cool:

Didn't even need the rebuild kit I bought from KDS..the syncro's still have an edge sharp enough to cut your finger (ouch :().

:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back