The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

3G lifter bleeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleturbo

Probationary Member
Nov 18, 2009
Delavan, Illinois
I recently installed a set of 3G lifters. I did everything step to step from what the vfaq said on how to replace lifters/ lash adjusters. But my problem is there still ticking. Now I've been searching, and I've seen two ways to bleed them. 1 is to submerge them in oil and use a paper clip and persay pump the air out. 2 is to tip the lifter upside down and get all the oil out so their easy to push down without using the paper clip. So my question is which is the correct way to bleed?

Please help this is my dd and I can't have it down. :pray:

well'

1. is called priming the lifters. You do that when they are new and dry inside.

2. I usually use an alen key that fits the hole, flip them upside down and collapse them as many times as no oil comes out.

Okay yes I agree, now I bought them used with about 5k miles on em. So there was oil in them, so I thought it would be correct to clean them and prime them before my installation. I personally did method 1. Installed them and still had ticking I mean it sounds like a diesel. I mean it's loud. :/

What oil are you running? You should try thinner oil maybe.

Also, there's this mod called "oil port mod" by Bogus Evo. It involves removing the head and doing some port work tho. Look it up.

Bleeding the lifters (technically HLA's) means getting rid of the oil inside. They're properly bled if you can sqeeze them down by hand. If you don't get all the OIL out of them before installation, you'd damage the valves big time since some valves are being forced open when the are not supposed to be. When you install them with no oil in them, they can compress since air is compressible, whereas oil is not since it is a liquid. The ball down inside is the check valve and any time there is something pressing the HLA down, that ball seals off the chamber and the HLA becomes solid. Any other time oil is being forced inside that camber until the ball is closed again. As long as you released the check ball and pressed the HLA down to release the oil, that's the best it's going to get. *HLA's naturally purge themselves of air after a few minutes of running.

Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I watched the YouTube video several times. I relize now that what I bought were actually 2g revised lifters. And that I blead them wrong. Now being that the 2g revised lifters are shorter than the rest. Can that still cause the tick? Oh and one more thing. Can I re bleed them (the correct way) and run these for a few weeks till I get a true new set of the 3G lifters?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back