The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

3G Clutch replaced but wont engage 4th gear and reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroDudeViperFerda

Probationary Member
Jun 3, 2021
Springfield, Missouri
I have a 2000 Eclipse GS 2.4L with a Evo 8/9 manual 5 speed tranny. Replaced the clutch, flywheel was still in great condition, replaced the input shaft/throwout bearing front transmission seal, filled the trans 2.5L until it started flowing out like I'm supposed to, everything is torqued lbs/ft like it's supposed to be so why won't it engage 4th and reverse? Ive been told these 2 gears are not tied to the same synchronizers, and I've bled the slave like its supposed to be.....where did i go wrong????

So 4 and R are both engage by pulling back on the gearshift lever? Perhaps that cable adjustment is a little off? I would think 2 would also be a problem, too, if my hunch was right, but still thinking its a trans/shifter issue, not clutch, since that would probably act bad in all gears.

Is the shifter sloppy and loose? Maybe the bushing are needing to be replaced so the shifter functions correctly. I would remove the console and watch my levers as I tried 4th and reverse to make sure the parts inside the car are doing their job then move out to the trans side and look for loose and sloppy bushing at the cable ends. If all of that checks out OK, then there is quite possibly an internal transmission problem. Those are the "easy" things to check at least.

So 4 and R are both engage by pulling back on the gearshift lever? Perhaps that cable adjustment is a little off? I would think 2 would also be a problem, too, if my hunch was right, but still thinking its a trans/shifter issue, not clutch, since that would probably act bad in all gears.
Yea 123and 5are all easy to get into. 4th wont engage and reverse just starts grinding out like i mis-shift.

I have a 2000 Eclipse GS 2.4L with a Evo 8/9 manual 5 speed tranny. Replaced the clutch, flywheel was still in great condition, replaced the input shaft/throwout bearing front transmission seal, filled the trans 2.5L until it started flowing out like I'm supposed to, everything is torqued lbs/ft like it's supposed to be so why won't it engage 4th and reverse? Ive been told these 2 gears are not tied to the same synchronizers, and I've bled the slave like its supposed to be.....where did i go wrong????
Ok so update when i put it back in neutral it starts chokin up like its not getting enough gas...????

Sounds like two different problems to me. There are several parts to disconnect and reconnect during the trans R&R. Perhaps something was not put back exactly the same, or has loosened, or just got janked during process ( vacuum line, some kind of sensor wiring, air intake leak after the maf). Are you driving the car (w/o reverse?!). Did you check the adjustment on the shift cables? Still too few breadcrumbs to snack on here.

I pulled it out front of my house from out back. Im working on checking the cable bushings niw

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back