The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

3D Printed Car Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More and more people are toying with 3D printing for car parts. If you've printed any parts for your car, please post some articles in this section describing how you did it. Whether if was for your DSM or not. With more and more OEM DSM parts becoming obsolete (no longer produced) 3D printing will become a popular option in this community.

Here are some resources I found to give people more info on getting started with 3D printing car parts.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Post your own Articles on this subject!

if thats the same insert dimensions as the Galant coin trays I have a blank clip that snaps right in. I made up one to hold the internals for an Anker cigarette usb charger, works great

That’s exactly what I was describing to a buddy to stick in place of my ashtray. Awesome.

Super simple drain plug for the 2g. Just RTV it to the floor and it'll hold perfectly fine.

heres the file

Guess you could say I felt a little inspiration from this thread and others. Figured I'd join in on some of the fun. This is the cover clip for the inside side mirror cover on a 1G, MB479370.

An hour or so with dial calipers and SolidWorks...

Sent to the printer (some ABS-like material, fairly rigid) and cleaned up:

Turned out pretty good for a first attempt on it. Only remaining test for fit is the snap in to the car itself. Those side tabs have enough flex there despite the rigid print material that I don't expect it will be a problem. Long-term use and reusability are also unknowns at this point. All in all, pretty pleased with it.

Edit: Rereading the thread and seeing some call for transparency or full-disclosure, these didn't print perfectly. While there are some aesthetic peculiarities from the printing process itself, they don't do anything to affect the part. The biggest issue these pieces had involved the latching / locking tab which, in actuality, is very close to the face above it, but there is a gap. This was taken into account on the model and I hoped it was enough of a gap to prevent the two from printing together. Although this did not happen and the two did actually form together, it was a light enough joint that I was able to run a razor blade through the pieces along the black line to separate the tab from the above face. No damage, easy separation, and apparently functional parts. :thumb:

Second Edit (29 April 2022): Update after finally remembering to trial these parts out. Checked fit and retention in the car, ease of removal, and reusability. In my opinion, it passes all of these without any apparent issues. Last remaining trial is I have one of these sitting in my driver side door pocket and will keep it in there for about a year. This will simulate in-car temperatures and conditions to see how this piece will last over time, though this is really only relevant if this same material is to be used in future versions.

Last edited:
Would someone with amazing modeling skills be able to make a replacement flywheel inspection cover for the 6bolt AWD? They're LITERALLY impossible to find. I'd buy one so very immediately.
for what it's worth I ran without one for years. It's a somewhat flat piece of metal. It could be fabbed without too much difficulty.

for what it's worth I ran without one for years. It's a somewhat flat piece of metal. It could be fabbed without too much difficulty.
I agree. The middle of it is dented but don’t think that really matters. Get a sheet of aluminum and you should be able to make your own. Drill holes for the two 10mm & one 12mm bolts.

I’d be interested in the plastic behind the 1g power mirror as they’re brittle now. Should be easy as the shape is simple.

Would someone with amazing modeling skills be able to make a replacement flywheel inspection cover for the 6bolt AWD? They're LITERALLY impossible to find. I'd buy one so very immediately.
I still have the one on mine, i'll take the calipers to it next time i'm under there and drop the file here.
Being under the car and exposed to the ground i do think a metal cover would hold up far better than something 3d printed (unless you are using resin SLA printing)
I have a cnc plasma and bender at work, I can probably fab a few out of aluminum if people are needing them.

I still have the one on mine, i'll take the calipers to it next time i'm under there and drop the file here.
Being under the car and exposed to the ground i do think a metal cover would hold up far better than something 3d printed (unless you are using resin SLA printing)
I have a cnc plasma and bender at work, I can probably fab a few out of aluminum if people are needing them.
Put me down for one, an aluminum one would look snazzy.

Hello all! Can anyone print 3D replacement brackets for the back of the door belt part of the 2g side skirts? Having a hard time finding a replacement part.

If it doesn't work out let me know. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll get under the car and pull mine off to model it, and cut it on my machine.

I'm open to trying some of these projects, I have some unique and useful tools such as; CO2 and Fiber laser engravers, CNC plasma table, 3d printer, sandblast/powder/cerakote stuff, and a vinyl plotter.

I have doubts that a 3D-printed tool will hold up for that particular application. But otherwise, shouldn't be too hard to model and cheap to try.

Have you considered grinding a socket to fit?

Ive never taken it out, how torqued down is it?
The torque value is only 17 ft-lbs. But they are generally pretty stuck in there and the proper tool can make a world of difference getting it out.

Like I said, it's a pretty simple thing to draw up and try, certainly worth a shot. :thumb:

Edit: if no one else chimes in with it, I'll have something drawn up by the end of next week.

This is a part that does not "wear out". Dead oil pumps have these to be recovered. Does no one have these to be scrounged or found? They are metal. 3D pringing metal is kinda new, but I'd rather find a different plug and modify it if you are that desperate.

Took a couple revisions but was able to get some version of Miller Tool MD998162 for the castle plug on the front case printed well enough to fit. The small hole in the middle was to help me remove support material of the 3D printer.

For the below, from left to right - First iteration, full print, did not fit nut and broke when forced onto nut. Tried giving this as much surface area as possible to mesh with the nut and succeed. Second iteration, since I was checking fit and did not care about the whole tool, only printed the toothed section and reduced some of the surface area to perhaps allow for a fit - no go. Third iteration added more clearance around the teeth (doubled the clearance) to give good opportunity to fit, based on printer tolerances - this was a success! So fourth go, printed another full socket based on the 3rd iteration to try out.

Fit of the far right job on the front case:

And the attempt to break the nut loose, as expected, ended with:
It didn't take much torque at all to get to that point. So my previous recommendation is reinforced a bit: you may want to try grinding a sacrificial socket to fit if you need to get this off.

When I have time again, I will get this castle plug off and see if I can't come up with a different design for it that would make it less difficult to remove.

I didn't realize there were as many of these as there are between 1G and 2G.
MD076175​
FWD​
NT​
6-bolt​
1G​
MD089360​
FWD​
T​
6-bolt​
1G​
MD095656​
AWD​
6-bolt​
Man. Trans​
1G​
MD150760​
AWD​
6-bolt​
Auto. Trans​
1G​
MD191137​
FWD​
T​
7-bolt​
1G​
MD191169​
FWD​
NT​
7-bolt​
1G​
MD191170​
FWD​
T​
7-bolt​
1G​
MD191171​
AWD​
6-bolt​
Man. Trans​
1G​
MD191173​
AWD​
7-bolt​
Auto. Trans​
1G​
MD195125​
FWD​
Auto. Trans​
2G​
MD195137​
BOTH​
Man. Trans​
2G​
MD195138​
AWD​
7-bolt​
Auto. Trans​
1G​
MD339957​
AWD​
Auto. Trans​
2G​

Unfortunately, I have no idea what this one is from, exactly. My guess is 1G 6-bolt FWD turbo as I've had more of those than anything but there's no markings on it to verify.

Not going to say it is perfect, but it isn't bad, either. I was actually pretty pleased with myself on this one.

As far as reproducing it - I ran it through some quick prototyping quoting services (Protolabs and Xometry) to try to get any sort of idea for what costing might look like and that bulge or pocket was difficult to account for in any process outside of stamping. And stamping required a custom die be made. And that was $$$$. I think its overall dimensions are too large for our printer here; I'll double-check and see if I can't get one printed, just to see how close I am. They may hate me for the amount of support material required. :idontknow:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back