The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

3D Printed Car Parts

More and more people are toying with 3D printing for car parts. If you've printed any parts for your car, please post some articles in this section describing how you did it. Whether if was for your DSM or not. With more and more OEM DSM parts becoming obsolete (no longer produced) 3D printing will become a popular option in this community.

Here are some resources I found to give people more info on getting started with 3D printing car parts.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Post your own Articles on this subject!

Fuzzy

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2022
Chandler, Arizona
if thats the same insert dimensions as the Galant coin trays I have a blank clip that snaps right in. I made up one to hold the internals for an Anker cigarette usb charger, works great

That’s exactly what I was describing to a buddy to stick in place of my ashtray. Awesome.

ceasarmo

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2022
Chihuahua, Central_America
Super simple drain plug for the 2g. Just RTV it to the floor and it'll hold perfectly fine.

heres the file

19Eclipse90

DSM Wiseman
Sep 29, 2003
OKC, Oklahoma
Guess you could say I felt a little inspiration from this thread and others. Figured I'd join in on some of the fun. This is the cover clip for the inside side mirror cover on a 1G, MB479370.

An hour or so with dial calipers and SolidWorks...

Sent to the printer (some ABS-like material, fairly rigid) and cleaned up:

Turned out pretty good for a first attempt on it. Only remaining test for fit is the snap in to the car itself. Those side tabs have enough flex there despite the rigid print material that I don't expect it will be a problem. Long-term use and reusability are also unknowns at this point. All in all, pretty pleased with it.

Edit: Rereading the thread and seeing some call for transparency or full-disclosure, these didn't print perfectly. While there are some aesthetic peculiarities from the printing process themselves, they don't do anything to affect the part. The biggest issue these pieces had was the latching / locking tab is, in actuality, very close to the face above it, but there is a gap. This was taken into account on the model and I hoped it was enough of a gap to prevent the two from printing together. Although this did not happen and the two did actually form together, it was a light enough joint that I was able to run a razor blade through the pieces along the black line to separate the tab from the above face. No damage, easy separation, and apparently functional parts. :thumb:

Second Edit (29 April 2022): Update after finally remembering to trial these parts out. Checked fit and retention in the car, ease of removal, and reusability. In my opinion, it passes all of these without any apparent issues. Last remaining trial is I have one of these sitting in my driver side door pocket and will keep it in there for about a year. This will simulate in-car temperatures and conditions to see how this piece will last over time, though this is really only relevant if this same material is to be used in future versions.

Last edited:

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Would someone with amazing modeling skills be able to make a replacement flywheel inspection cover for the 6bolt AWD? They're LITERALLY impossible to find. I'd buy one so very immediately.
for what it's worth I ran without one for years. It's a somewhat flat piece of metal. It could be fabbed without too much difficulty.

TK's9d2TSi

Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
for what it's worth I ran without one for years. It's a somewhat flat piece of metal. It could be fabbed without too much difficulty.
I agree. The middle of it is dented but don’t think that really matters. Get a sheet of aluminum and you should be able to make your own. Drill holes for the two 10mm & one 12mm bolts.

I’d be interested in the plastic behind the 1g power mirror as they’re brittle now. Should be easy as the shape is simple.

PoiBoi

Probationary Member
Apr 19, 2021
Pasadena, Maryland
Would someone with amazing modeling skills be able to make a replacement flywheel inspection cover for the 6bolt AWD? They're LITERALLY impossible to find. I'd buy one so very immediately.
I still have the one on mine, i'll take the calipers to it next time i'm under there and drop the file here.
Being under the car and exposed to the ground i do think a metal cover would hold up far better than something 3d printed (unless you are using resin SLA printing)
I have a cnc plasma and bender at work, I can probably fab a few out of aluminum if people are needing them.

greekgodchaos

Proven Member
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I still have the one on mine, i'll take the calipers to it next time i'm under there and drop the file here.
Being under the car and exposed to the ground i do think a metal cover would hold up far better than something 3d printed (unless you are using resin SLA printing)
I have a cnc plasma and bender at work, I can probably fab a few out of aluminum if people are needing them.
Put me down for one, an aluminum one would look snazzy.

Vinni Giolo

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2020
Santa Rosa, California
Hello all! Can anyone print 3D replacement brackets for the back of the door belt part of the 2g side skirts? Having a hard time finding a replacement part.

spyderdrifter

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2009
Some where in, Colorado
Someone should model and print the 2G door panel plastics that re always broken. If someone perfected that model, they'd have the entire surviving 2G fleet knocking on the door for a set.

TheBrownMike

Proven Member
Apr 9, 2018
SAN DIEGO, California

If it doesn't work out let me know. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll get under the car and pull mine off to model it, and cut it on my machine.

I'm open to trying some of these projects, I have some unique and useful tools such as; CO2 and Fiber laser engravers, CNC plasma table, 3d printer, sandblast/powder/cerakote stuff, and a vinyl plotter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds