The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

3D print a bracket for the engine compartment maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arfbarkyPrime

Proven Member
Aug 27, 2022
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I'm trying to figure out how to mount a pair of oil catchcans. I have space over by the battery and fuses. I can fit a sort of T-shaped bracket, there's an empty bolt hole in a couple places. The top bar of the T would need to be angled back about 45 degrees but it seems like if I bolt it down at the three ends, it would be pretty secure.

I have zero experience with 3D printing ... is this something that I could model and get printed? What would be the best material for this? I have a good cardboard mockup I can take measurements from and model.

The other option would be to weld something up, but while I have a MIG welder I have almost zero experience with that too! Haven't gotten around to it....

What do you think?

plastic unless an ABS type would not last with the vibrations and bouncing of the can, im pretty sure i use one of the same spots and i just made a metal bracket and clamped to it originally. you can bend some steel or alloy sheet to what you need and then wont need to worry about any printing also

3D printing is an option if you can do the modeling and have a printer (or send it out to print).
I have printed many parts for my vehicles.
I would recommend nylon (PA) for under the hood applications.
Nylon has a high heat deflection temperature (HDT) of 255C, compared to ABS 88C.
I prefer MulltiJet Fusion (MJF) for most under the hood printed parts, but have two large FDM printers that I use with engineering grade materials as well.

Best,
Alan

I wouldn't trust any of the materials I can easily 3D print in a DSM engine bay.

Learning to design solid models in a CAD program would be a great place to start regardless of how you are going to fabricate the part. Typically then you feed the model to post-processing software for printing or CNC.

I am an engineer and have been using CAD and FEA simulation analysis to design plastic and metal parts for many years....
Engineering grade FDM materials can be used in under the hood environments depending on application and proximity to exhaust components.
They are not "easy" to print, but you can send the model out to protolabs, xometry, etc for fabrication, if you do not want to attempt printing them yourself.

Metal components will obviously be more robust, but plastics have come a long way in the last couple of decades....

I also have metal fabrication equipment, such as mills, lathes, band saws, grinders, welders (MIG, TIG, OXY), sheet metal brake, ect in my garage and have been fabricating for many years....
I prefer to model and 3D print, when the application permits.

Best,
Alan

Thanks for all the tips, I guess based on what equipment I have and skills (zero skills and equipment for 3D printing, zero skills but have a welder) .... I guess I will have to try welding something together. There is a metal supply place in town open to the public, so seems like the path of least resistance. Thanks!

If you're smart about your placement of the catch can (away from hot areas), you can get away with CF-Nylon printed parts. My 3D printed catch can mount is in the stock battery location and has held up for years. For the most part, thermoplastics do not hold up inside the engine bay.
At your skill level I'd avoid getting a 3D printer for automotive parts. It'll take a lot of time, and experience to get stuff to work. Metal is easier and more reliable for mounts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back