The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

3582 fp housing vs hta red

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHEARER_TSI

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2008
Oil City, Pennsylvania
Ok so i can get a good deal on a 3582r with a fp dsm housing but it is not an hta wheel...or i can buy a fp red hta. Im looking for opinions on which of these would be better for 600hp. Fp said i could upgrade the 3582 to a hta whell but it will cost $700.

IMHO you would really have to push the Red to get where you want to go, not that it won't do it but your going to be on the edge of efficiency. The 3582 has more than enough, add the HTA wheel with BB cartridge and spool characteristics should be relatively comparable to the Red with a good bit more up top. It comes down to whether you want to max one type of set-up or leave yourself some growing room.

If you go with a brand new old-school Red it will have a GT35R-spec compressor mated to a TD06H4 turbine in an 8cm turbine housing. ;)

Both will be similar-performers....obvious advantage going to the 35R. It all comes down to what you want (ball bearing vs. journal bearing) in terms of reliability, fitment, and ease of service. For high boost levels a ball bearing turbo will be much more reliable than a journal bearing turbo based on the MHI TD05/06 center housing. The downside of this is that if something goes wrong- say the turbine wheel gets damaged, the ball bearing turbo costs $800 to service versus around $200 for the parts to service the Red.

The Red also can be configured with whatever wastegate placement you'd like (internal, external on manifold/o2 housing) where the FP turbine housing must use an external gate off the turbine housing.

Well i really like the fp housing...i think it makes for a great setup. This turbo is non hta but i may have it converted. The guy who has it sentit to fp so that i would have peace of mind in its condition. If it checks out m going with it.

If you go with a brand new old-school Red it will have a GT35R-spec compressor mated to a TD06H4 turbine in an 8cm turbine housing. ;)

Both will be similar-performers....obvious advantage going to the 35R. It all comes down to what you want (ball bearing vs. journal bearing) in terms of reliability, fitment, and ease of service. For high boost levels a ball bearing turbo will be much more reliable than a journal bearing turbo based on the MHI TD05/06 center housing. The downside of this is that if something goes wrong- say the turbine wheel gets damaged, the ball bearing turbo costs $800 to service versus around $200 for the parts to service the Red.

The Red also can be configured with whatever wastegate placement you'd like (internal, external on manifold/o2 housing) where the FP turbine housing must use an external gate off the turbine housing.

Old school Reds were 60-1 comp wheels :shhh:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back