The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GVR-4 300hp build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bormikstel5

Probationary Member
Jul 19, 2020
usa, New_York
I just got a hold of a 4g63t engine from an eclipse and wondered what to do to make it a reliable 300hp+ engine as I might have to use it in an evo.
speed test

Last edited:
On the front page further down to the bottom of the thread links are stickys, there should be one with generalized upgrades and the hp range from those mods. There are a lot of build paths to go down to achieve your goal, just look on the site 300hp goal or do some research. I don't know enough to say "get this set up with this pump and injectors and a tune".

What evo is it going in? Usdm evos and eclipse motors have the tranny on opposite sides. Idk if that is able to work. Are you looking for 300 crank or wheel? I dynod at 320whp on my gst so I can tell you my mod list. Even to break into the 300s it does get pricey if you buy quality parts and not ebay knock off stuff.

An Eclipse engine won't work in any Evo IV-IX model.

300hp is a Small 16G, fuel system upgrades, a tuning platform, and a decent FMIC.

Gona need a little more than that. Bigger exhaust system , downpipe, should change to a more free flowing exhaust manifold. More than likely need a clutch upgrade. Idk what the stock clutch can hold but I doubt its much more than stock. I went with a garrett big t28 since its direct bolton. Pricey yes , but it reached my goals and direct fit. Should get a wideband gauge atleast. I would get a boost gauge aswell. I suffered from extreme overheating due to the fmic. Hopeully you don't, but if you do gona have to upgrade the cooling system. The temp gauge doesn't start moving till the car is way hotter than one would want. Check in dsmlink to see what its actually reading.

Gona need a little more than that. Bigger exhaust system , downpipe, should change to a more free flowing exhaust manifold. More than likely need a clutch upgrade.
Exhaust is like a step 1 modification...and a freer-flowing exhaust manifold does nothing but cost spool at the 300hp power level. A crack-free stock manifold with the collector ported to match the inlet of the turbine housing is plenty.

Same goes for the clutch- you're not going as far as swapping engines and upgrading turbochargers sticking with a stock clutch...although in reality the Evo IV-IX come from the factory with a turbo that's larger than both the Small 16G and T28 so if that's really what the engine is going into (somehow) then the stock clutch would likely be fine.

Exhaust is like a step 1 modification...and a freer-flowing exhaust manifold does nothing but cost spool at the 300hp power level. A crack-free stock manifold with the collector ported to match the inlet of the turbine housing is plenty.

Same goes for the clutch- you're not going as far as swapping engines and upgrading turbochargers sticking with a stock clutch...although in reality the Evo IV-IX come from the factory with a turbo that's larger than both the Small 16G and T28 so if that's really what the engine is going into (somehow) then the stock clutch would likely be fine.
He said he has an eclipse engine, so its not gona mate to a evo usdm trans. A stock usdm evo clutch will handle it. My evo makes 348wtq on stock clutch. If he wants to stick to stock manifold so be it. I wouldn't. I upgraded to an FP log. My turbo spools just fine with the manifold and bigger cams. Most people here didn't think i would make over 270ish on my mods. I made 320.
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/guess-the-hp.528587/#post-153763819

It's been proven the FP race manifold costs spool and midrange on a wide range of turbos, so it makes no sense to use it on a turbo that doesn't make big numbers above a midrange powerband. We put one on a 16G-powered auto street car expecting top-end gains and went from making 12.3/12.4 @ 113/114 passes pretty consistently to no longer being able to get on the converter, 2.3 60fts and 13.3 passes at 108mph. Put the ported 2G manifold back on and the car went right back to where it was before. A small turbo doesn't benefit from a large-runner, merged-collector race manifold which trades velocity for flow much like a 16G car wouldn't benefit from 288 cams.

http://morrisonfabrications.com/tech/dsm-stock-replacement-manifold-back-to-back-dyno-testing/

Oh idk then. I only go from my personal experiences and what the people around me recommend. The stock t25 on stock cams , stock manifold , and a 60mm exhaust netted me an embarrassing 211 whp with the tq falling flat on its face at the top end. My redline was set at 6k rpms caus it was was running out of steam.Now I hold power all the way to 6800. I mean the graphs speak for themselves. I dont think a slightly bigger turbo and bigger exhaust system will net me over 109 whp alone. Again just my experiences. Everyone here told me 550 cc injectors also weren't good enough to break more than 270whp. My tuner told me 550s were good for close to 350. He was right.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_133826_588.jpg
    IMG_20200501_133826_588.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 126
I've seen cams alone give a 52whp gain on a Mustang dyno with a 100% stock car, so anything is possible. Going from a 38mm TB2566 to a 47mm TB2578 isn't exactly a "slightly bigger" turbo, by the way. You had to be driving those 550's pretty hard to make those numbers...but there was a time when Buschur went 7's on a HKS VPC and a 660cc injector chip so again- anything is possible depending what pump volume you have behind the injectors and how hard you're driving them.

255 walbro. And I'm only running BC stage 2s. Nothing aggressive. The deatschwerks 550cc injectors are considered stock replacements for an evo. My stock evo injectors are almost maxed. My eclipse made alot more power on the setup but my tuner brought it down for safety

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back